Energy change for a charged particle

In summary: This gives the result you were asked to prove.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a charged particle interacting with electric and magnetic fields and the resulting change in energy. It is shown that the rate of change of energy is equal to the dot product of the particle's velocity and the electric field. The discussion also considers the work done by the electromagnetic force and the direction of the velocity and magnetic field. Finally, it is concluded that the change in energy is solely due to the work done by the electric force.
Vrbic

Homework Statement

Without introducing any coordinates or basis vectors, show that, when a charged particle interacts with electric and magnetic fields, its energy changes at a rate $$\frac{dE}{dt}=\vec{v}\cdot \vec{E} $$

Homework Equations

##E_{kin} + E_{pot}= En =## const (1)
##E_{pot}=\vec{r}\cdot\vec{E}## (2)...suppose homogenic electric field and also that magnetic field does not affect magnitude of velocity. ##E## describes electric field

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all I suppose they ask on kinetic energy. Total energy is conserved. Then I put (2) in (1) and differentiate to get:
$$\frac{dE_k}{dt}=-\frac{d}{dt}(\vec{r}\cdot\vec{E}). $$
I hope, a minus sign vanish in opposite definition of vectors \vec{r}. I hope in homogenic electric field is ##\vec{E}=##const. than
$$\frac{dE_k}{dt}=\vec{v}\cdot\vec{E}. $$
Is it allright?

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to assume a uniform E field, and therefore you don't need to assume that -r⋅E is the potential energy.

The rate at which the energy of the particle increases is the rate at which the electromagnetic force does work on the particle. So, consider the electromagnetic force and the amount of work it does when the particle undergoes a small displacement dr.

TSny said:
You don't need to assume a uniform E field, and therefore you don't need to assume that -r⋅E is the potential energy.

The rate at which the energy of the particle increases is the rate at which the electromagnetic force does work on the particle. So, consider the electromagnetic force and the amount of work it does when the particle undergoes a small displacement dr.
Aha I see, so ##\frac{dE}{dt}=\frac{d}{dt}\int{\vec{E}d\vec{r}}+\frac{d}{dt}\int{(\vec{v}\times\vec{B})d\vec{r}}##, but now ##\vec{E}## is not constant and integration cannot be done so easy. How may I now get a result? Honestly now I'm not sure why is the latter term zero (how prove it).

I don't understand why you are integrating. To get the rate of change of energy, you just need to consider an infinitesimal displacement dr of the particle during an infinitesimal time dt. If you have a force F that acts on a particle, how much work does F do on the particle when the particle moves through a displacement dr?

Vrbic said:
Honestly now I'm not sure why is the latter term zero (how prove it)
What do you know about magnetic fields and work? What is the direction of ##\vec{v}\times\vec{B}## and ##\vec{r}##?

TSny said:
I don't understand why you are integrating. To get the rate of change of energy, you just need to consider an infinitesimal displacement dr of the particle during an infinitesimal time dt. If you have a force F that acts on a particle, how much work does F do on the particle when the particle moves through a displacement dr?
Ou yes ##dE=dW=\vec{E}d\vec{r}## sorry I have to thing.

NFuller said:
What do you know about magnetic fields and work? What is the direction of ##\vec{v}\times\vec{B}## and ##\vec{r}##?
Hmm again, more thinging. Direction of ##\vec{v}## is same as ##\vec{r}##. Cross product ##\vec{v}\times\vec{B}## results in ortogonal to both of them i.e. also to ##\vec{r}## i.e. dot product is zero.
Thank you both of you.

Right. The magnetic force doesn't do any work. So, the change in energy is due solely to the work done by the electric force.

Likes Vrbic

Related to Energy change for a charged particle

1. What is energy change for a charged particle?

The energy change for a charged particle refers to the difference in energy between two points in an electric field. It is a measure of the work done on the particle by the electric field.

2. How is energy change for a charged particle calculated?

The energy change for a charged particle is calculated using the equation: ΔE = qΔV, where q is the charge of the particle and ΔV is the potential difference between the two points in the electric field.

3. What factors affect the energy change for a charged particle?

The energy change for a charged particle is affected by the charge of the particle, the strength of the electric field, and the distance between the two points in the electric field.

4. What is the relationship between energy change and work done for a charged particle?

The energy change for a charged particle is equal to the work done on the particle by the electric field. This means that the energy change can be calculated by multiplying the force on the particle by the distance it moves in the electric field.

5. How does energy change for a charged particle affect its motion?

The energy change for a charged particle can affect its motion by altering its speed and direction in the electric field. If the energy change is positive, the particle will gain energy and accelerate in the direction of the electric field. If the energy change is negative, the particle will lose energy and decelerate in the opposite direction of the electric field.