Energy conservation: sled on a hill

In summary, after the person jumps off the sled, it goes down a hill and comes in contact with a rough surface. The sled travels a distance of 3 meters on the rough surface.
tomgackle
Hi there, I'm studying for mechanics final and I came across a question I can't figure out how to do. The question is as follows:

A person is on a sled of mass 10 kg that’s moving to the right on a frictionless surface at 4 m/s. Just before the sled goes down a hill the person of mass 50 kg jumps off the sled with a speed of 3 m/s relative to the sled, to the left. After the sled slides down the hill it comes in contact with a rough surface of u = 0.3 and is brought to a momentary stop by compressing a spring of force constant 1000 N/m, by 30 cm.

How far did the sled travel on the rough surface at the instant the spring was fully
compressed?

To start with, I found the change in velocity of the sled after the person jumped off, but I'm stymied as to how I can do the rest without being given the height of the hill.

any help is greatly appreciated!

thanks,

tom

Physics news on Phys.org
Since they give you the spring constant and the amount of compression, couldn't you figure out what the gain in kinetic energy was from going down the hill? Just a thought, I'm at work and can't spend time on it. Let me know how this works out!

I'm just thinking that if the hill was a lot higher than it is, then the sled would have to travel a lot farther on the frictional surface in order to compress the spring the same amount. If they wanted the answer in terms of 'h' the height of the hill it would be no problem, but I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be a numerical value.

Anyway, no need to risk it for my sake if you're at work, I'll just move on to the next few questions :)

I have to agree with you. seems they left some info out...maybe I'll print this out and look at it at home tonight...good luck

Thank you and thank you!

umm...its been a long time but can you please tell me how you calculated the speed of the sled immediately after the person jumps off?

thankyou :)

It has been a while, but I remember have trouble with this question. I ended up going to my professor, and he told me that a value had indeed been left out. So if I remember correctly, the height should be given as 10m. Hope that helps.

Whoops, I guess that doesn't actually answer your question, does it?
To find the speed of the sled after the person jumps off, I think you can use the conservation of kinetic energy:
Ek = (1/2)mv^2

Energy of person relative to sled: Ep/s = 0.5*50*3^2
Then use that energy to find the change in velocity of the sled: 0.5*10v^2 = Ep/s by solving for v.

Add that value to the original speed. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I'm just on my way to bed, so it'll have to do. Final tomorrow!

Last edited:
omg thanku so much :)
and goodluck on your final :)

Related to Energy conservation: sled on a hill

What is energy conservation?

Energy conservation is the practice of using less energy in order to reduce our overall energy consumption and preserve natural resources for future use.

How does a sled on a hill relate to energy conservation?

A sled on a hill demonstrates the concept of potential and kinetic energy. As the sled is at the top of the hill, it has a high potential energy. As it slides down the hill, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, which is the energy of motion. By understanding this energy transfer, we can better understand how to conserve energy in our daily lives.

What are some ways to conserve energy when sledding on a hill?

One way to conserve energy when sledding on a hill is to choose a hill with a gradual slope, as this will require less energy to climb back up. Additionally, using smaller, lighter sleds can also conserve energy. Lastly, avoiding excessive braking and steering can help maintain the sled's momentum and conserve energy.

How does energy conservation benefit the environment?

Energy conservation helps reduce the amount of energy we use, which in turn reduces the amount of fossil fuels and other non-renewable resources we consume. This helps decrease air and water pollution, as well as greenhouse gas emissions, which contribute to climate change. By conserving energy, we can help protect the environment for future generations.

What are some other examples of energy conservation?

Some other examples of energy conservation include turning off lights and electronics when not in use, using energy-efficient appliances, carpooling or using public transportation, and properly insulating buildings to reduce heating and cooling needs. Conserving water, recycling, and using renewable energy sources are also important ways to conserve energy.

Back