Energy conversion- burning wood to lifting an object

In summary, the calorific value of wood is 16 MJ/kg and a match weights approximately 0.17 g. Therefore, burning the wooden part of a single match releases 2720 J of energy. If all of this energy were used to lift a 60 kg person against gravity, they could be lifted 4.626 m. This amount of energy is significant, but only a small fraction can be utilized efficiently due to the laws of thermodynamics.
jongood

Homework Statement

If the calorific value of wood is 16 MJ/kg and a match weights approximately 0.17 g, then (a)
how much energy (in joules) is released by burning the wooden part of a single match? If all
of this energy were applied to do work to lift a 60 kg human vertically, against gravity, then
(b) how high could the person be lifted?

Homework Equations

W=F*d

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

So for a. I was given the calorific value for a kg of wood. So I crossed multipled and divide.

(16 MJ/kg*.00017kg) /1= 2720 J

then for B.

Joules can also be expressed in Nm
using formula W=F*d ->W/F=d

I was confused at first about the 80 kg because I assumed that was his weight but I am using that number as his mass. So found out that 80kg of mass= 588 N

w=2720Nm F= 588 N

2720Nm/588N= 4.626 m

Now does that seem a lot to you? It did at first but now I am not sure.

Please let me know if I am on the right track. This whole answer hinges on if I got the first part right... it seemed too easy so that's why i am second guessing myself...

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good. Lot's of energy bound up in organic substances, which is why we burn coal and oil for energy.

Yes, it seems reasonable. That's the problem with heat - there's a whole lot of it, but we can utilize only small fractions to make it do what we want.

Yeh - darn Carnot, Clausius & Kelvin and their 2nd law!

I can confirm that your calculations are correct. Burning wood releases a significant amount of energy, and using that energy to lift a 60 kg human vertically against gravity can result in a height of 4.626 meters. It is important to note that this is a theoretical calculation and in reality, there would be energy losses due to friction and other factors. Nonetheless, your understanding of the concepts and application of the equations is correct. Keep up the good work!

Related to Energy conversion- burning wood to lifting an object

What is energy conversion?

Energy conversion is the process of changing one form of energy into another. In the case of burning wood to lift an object, the chemical energy stored in the wood is converted into mechanical energy to lift the object.

How does burning wood produce energy?

Burning wood involves a chemical reaction called combustion, which releases heat and light. This heat energy is harnessed and used for various purposes, such as cooking, heating, and in this case, lifting an object.

Is burning wood a sustainable way to produce energy?

While burning wood can be considered a renewable energy source because trees can be replanted, it is not always sustainable. If the demand for wood exceeds the rate at which trees can grow, deforestation can occur, leading to negative environmental impacts such as loss of biodiversity and increased carbon emissions.

What factors affect the efficiency of energy conversion from burning wood to lifting an object?

The efficiency of energy conversion depends on various factors, including the type of wood, the quality of the burn, the design of the device used to harness the energy, and the weight and height of the object being lifted.

Can energy conversion from burning wood to lifting an object be improved?

Yes, there are ways to improve the efficiency of energy conversion from burning wood to lifting an object. These include using more efficient burning techniques, using high-quality wood, and optimizing the design of the device used to harness the energy.