Energy Density of a magnetic field

In summary, to calculate the energy density of a given magnetic field (0.03 T), you need to use the equation u=B^2/2μ. However, make sure to use SI units throughout to ensure the answer is in SI units (Newtons/m^2 or Joules/m^3). Additionally, you can refer to the Wikipedia articles on magnetic units and the magnetic constant for more information.
Macarenses
I'm trying to calculate the energy density of a given magnetic field (0.03 T). I'm supposed to use the equation u=B^2/2μ right? Well I'm getting 358.1 A/m (?). Something is wrong here.

Thanks in advance.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Magnetic units can be confusing. You might try reading the Wikipedia articles below.

Or you can take it on faith that if you use SI units throughout, the answer will come out in SI units. In this case, B is in Tesla (which can also be written as Newtons/(Amp-Meter)), and μ0 = 4π*10^-7 Newtons/Amp^2, then the answer U = B^2/(2μ0) will come out in Newtons/m^2, which is the same as Joules/m^3 - i.e an energy density.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_constant
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_(unit)

FAQ: Energy Density of a magnetic field

1. What is energy density of a magnetic field?

The energy density of a magnetic field is a measure of the amount of energy stored in a given volume of space due to the magnetic field.

2. How is energy density of a magnetic field calculated?

The energy density of a magnetic field can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the magnetic field by the square of the magnetic permeability of the medium.

3. What is the unit of measurement for energy density of a magnetic field?

The unit of measurement for energy density of a magnetic field is joules per cubic meter (J/m^3).

4. How does the energy density of a magnetic field affect objects in its vicinity?

The energy density of a magnetic field can exert a force on charged particles, causing them to move or experience a change in energy.

5. Can the energy density of a magnetic field be changed?

Yes, the energy density of a magnetic field can be changed by altering the strength or direction of the magnetic field or by changing the medium through which the field passes.