Energy in 6V Dry-Cell Battery: -3.25E^9 J

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the energy delivered by a 6 V dry-cell flashlight battery over a 60 hour period, assuming a linear decrease in voltage. The solution involves finding a function for voltage in terms of time, using the equation for energy, and confirming the result with the power equation. The possibility of a negative energy is also mentioned due to the nature of active elements.
Luke1294

Homework Statement

The manufacturer of a 6 V dry-cell flashlight battery says that the battery will deliver 15 mA for 60 continuous hours. During that time, the voltage will drop from 6 V to 4 V. Assume the drop in voltage is linear with time. How much energy does the battery deliver in this 60 h interval?

Homework Equations

[tex]p=\frac {dw}{dt}=vi[/tex]
[tex]w=\int vi \; dt[/tex]
[tex]y-y_1=m(x-x_1)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so this is a pretty elementary problem...but whatever. I know that at t=0, the battery will be putting out 6 V. I also know that after 60 hours (or 2.6E^5 seconds), the battery will be putting out 4 V. I used this information, along with the equation of a line in point-slope form, to find a function of voltage in terms of time. That function is...

[tex]V(t)=-9.3E^{-6}t + 6 [/tex]

Okay, so now I have a function for voltage, and a constant current, enough to use my second equation, [tex]w=\int vi \; dt[/tex], where w is energy.

[tex]w=\int_0^{2.16E^5}(-9.3E^{-6}t+6)(15E^{-3}\;dt[/tex]
The units work out right, and I arrive at -3.25E^9 J.

Does everything look alright? Or have I gone in a totally incorrect direction. The negative value is what is really throwing me off.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the current is constant, bring it outside of the integral.

One can also write the integrand as 6 - 9.26E-6t, which should integrate to _____?

I get a positive number.

One can do a quick overcheck with V*I*time, remembering that V*I = power.

Now since V decreases linearly from 6 to 4 V, the average is simply 5 V (J/coul), then multiply by current 0.015 A (coul/s), and time of 216,000 s.

Thanks! I'm not exactly sure why I was getting a negative number, but when I went through and re-did it, it came out positive. But hey, atleast I know my method was sound!

I wasn't positive I could just use the average, although it makes perfect sense. Silly me.Once again, thank you very much!

Luke1294 said:
Thanks! I'm not exactly sure why I was getting a negative number, but when I went through and re-did it, it came out positive. But hey, atleast I know my method was sound!

I wasn't positive I could just use the average, although it makes perfect sense. Silly me.

Once again, thank you very much!

I also found a negative energy, which is OK. A positive energy is dissipated at the load. The power source delivers a negative energy.
This goes with the definition of active and passive elements. In a passive element the energy is always nonnegative, while in an active element it can be negative. The power source is an active element.

Related to Energy in 6V Dry-Cell Battery: -3.25E^9 J

What is a 6V Dry-Cell Battery?

A 6V dry-cell battery is a type of battery that contains a chemical reaction that produces a steady flow of electric current. It is commonly used in electronic devices such as flashlights, toys, and remote controls.

How much energy does a 6V Dry-Cell Battery contain?

A 6V dry-cell battery typically contains 3.25E^9 J (joules) of energy. This is equivalent to 3.25 billion joules or 3.25 gigajoules.

How is energy stored in a 6V Dry-Cell Battery?

The chemical reaction inside a 6V dry-cell battery creates a buildup of electrons at the negative terminal and a shortage of electrons at the positive terminal. This difference in charge creates an electric field, which is a form of stored energy.

What is the voltage of a 6V Dry-Cell Battery?

A 6V dry-cell battery has a voltage of 6 volts, which is the measure of the electric potential difference between the positive and negative terminals.

How long will a 6V Dry-Cell Battery last?

The lifespan of a 6V dry-cell battery depends on the amount of current it is supplying and the type of device it is powering. On average, a 6V dry-cell battery can last for several hours to several months before needing to be replaced.