Heat in a Vacuum: Does it Need a Medium?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether heat needs a medium to travel through and whether a vacuum can be heated. The conclusion is that heat can be transmitted through vacuum via electromagnetic radiation, but it will not have an effect unless there is something present to be affected.
pzona
Suppose you have an absolute vacuum, with zero particles, and its container is made of a conductive material, like a metal or something, which is heated. What happens inside the vacuum?

Does heat need the medium of air, or will it heat the vacuum? I reason that heat needs a medium (like air particles) to permeate because the particles vibrate, transferring the energy that is registered as heat, but this doesn't seem right. I know that space isn't a perfect vacuum, but it's close enough, and heat from the sun reaches the earth. I guess what I'm ultimately wondering is, does heat (or any form of energy) need a medium to travel through, other than space?

Physics news on Phys.org
pzona said:
Suppose you have an absolute vacuum, with zero particles, and its container is made of a conductive material, like a metal or something, which is heated. What happens inside the vacuum?

Does heat need the medium of air, or will it heat the vacuum?
The vacuum will not heat up. The container will radiate heat, sending EM radiation (photons) from its inside surface through the cavity to the other inside surface.

pzona said:
I reason that heat needs a medium (like air particles) to permeate because the particles vibrate, transferring the energy that is registered as heat, but this doesn't seem right. I know that space isn't a perfect vacuum, but it's close enough, and heat from the sun reaches the earth. I guess what I'm ultimately wondering is, does heat (or any form of energy) need a medium to travel through, other than space?
There are many things that transfer heat. It can be passed kinetically, via particles (conduction) and it can be passed through vacuum (radiated), via photons.

Hi,
I don't my concept is clear or not.
please clear this doubt.
Em radiation doesn't required medium to propagate but it carries energy(e.g-light).
as the energy is transmitted so the vacuum may be heated.

amaresh92 said:
The energy is transmitted to what?Generally there's air which vibrates
However,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_energy"

Last edited by a moderator:
how would we know if the vacuum heats up or not?
doesn't vacuum mean there is nothing there. If there is nothing there, what would heat up?

Caesar_Rahil said:
how would we know if the vacuum heats up or not?
doesn't vacuum mean there is nothing there. If there is nothing there, what would heat up?

I think Dave explained what would happen

amaresh92 said:
Hi,
I don't my concept is clear or not.
please clear this doubt.
Em radiation doesn't required medium to propagate but it carries energy(e.g-light).
EM radiation passes through the vacuum. If there is nothing in the vacuum for the EM radiation to affect, then it will not be heated.

The OP, in respectful rebutal might ask...(OK, my words, sorry)

Are virtual particles affected by non-virtual EM radiation?

Related to Heat in a Vacuum: Does it Need a Medium?

1. What is heat in a vacuum and why does it need a medium?

Heat in a vacuum refers to the transfer of thermal energy in a space that is devoid of matter, such as outer space. This transfer of energy can occur through radiation, conduction, or convection. While heat can still be transferred in a vacuum without a medium, it is much slower and less efficient compared to when a medium is present.

2. Can heat be transferred in a vacuum without a medium?

Yes, heat can still be transferred in a vacuum through radiation, which is the emission of electromagnetic waves. However, this process is much slower and less efficient compared to when a medium, such as air or water, is present.

3. How does a medium affect heat transfer in a vacuum?

A medium, such as air or water, can significantly enhance heat transfer in a vacuum. This is because the particles in a medium are in constant motion and can transfer their thermal energy to other particles through collisions, thereby speeding up the transfer of heat.

4. Do different mediums affect heat transfer in a vacuum differently?

Yes, different mediums can affect heat transfer in a vacuum differently. For example, air is a poor heat conductor compared to water, which is a better conductor. This means that heat transfer in a vacuum will be slower and less efficient with air compared to water.

5. Is it possible to have heat transfer in a vacuum without any medium at all?

Yes, it is possible to have heat transfer in a vacuum without any medium at all through radiation. This is because all objects with a temperature above absolute zero emit electromagnetic waves, which can transfer thermal energy in a vacuum. However, the absence of a medium can greatly slow down and limit the efficiency of heat transfer.