Energy Loss in Capacitors: How Can We Account for It?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from a textbook regarding finding the total energy in a system of capacitors. The book provides a solution that includes accounting for energy loss, which is caused by current flowing through connecting wires and other factors. The conversation also mentions the concept of conservation of momentum and how it relates to energy loss in the system. Further calculations and revision are needed for better understanding of the topic.
SpartanG345

Homework Statement

PART D

this is an example from my textbook, i do not understand the result however

question.jpg

Homework Equations

U = W = Q^2/(2v) = 0.5 CV^2 = 0.5 QV

the charge once connected
Q1 640 micro F
Q2 320 micro F

V1=V2 = 80V (equating the charges to total Q0 initially stored in the capacitor)

The Attempt at a Solution

part d asks to find the total energy in the system, however in the answers
the book found the total energy in the system to be

0.038J ( once both capacitors are connected)

however the energy required to charge up the first capacitor is 0.058J - i thought this should be the total energy of the system.

this does not make sense, how can there be energy loss, as the formula didn't take account of energy loss. The book found the energy in the system by working out the charge in each capacitor the working out the total energy using equation 2

i just can't see how method took account of energy loss, using formulas to my understanding that did not consider energy loss.

Physics news on Phys.org
When the capacitors are joined current flows through the connecting wires which heat up as a result.This is the major source of energy loss.There may also be small losses due to inductive effects and any sparks that may be produced.

working.jpg

wat i don't get is how the formulas that didn't account of energy loss show that there is energy loss, this seems impossible.

SpartanG345 said:
wat i don't get is how the formulas that didn't account of energy loss show that there is energy loss, this seems impossible.

I don't see what the problem is. If I use conservation of momentum to find out the result of an inelastic collision, I don't take account of the energy. If I calculate the kinetic energy after the collison, it will show a loss.

SpartanG345 said:

The best way to understand this is to insert a real resistor between the capacitors, and calculate the energy dissipated in the resistor. Then cut the value of the resistor in half, and re-do the calculation. Do you see a pattern?

After fiddling around

i found the % energy loss when one capacitor discharges into another

is C1/(C1 + C2)

eg if the capacitors were the same then the energy loss is 50%, this doesn't really make sense as there is no R, which means the only way the energy could have been lost is due to EMR, but i need to revise that topic for my Phys exam in 3 days

SpartanG345 said:
After fiddling around

i found the % energy loss when one capacitor discharges into another

is C1/(C1 + C2)

eg if the capacitors were the same then the energy loss is 50%, this doesn't really make sense as there is no R, which means the only way the energy could have been lost is due to EMR, but i need to revise that topic for my Phys exam in 3 days

R is not zero. Did you do the calculations that I described in my previous post?

Related to Energy Loss in Capacitors: How Can We Account for It?

What is energy loss in capacitors?

Energy loss in capacitors is the reduction of stored energy in a capacitor due to various factors such as resistance, leakage, and dielectric losses. It can also refer to the decrease in efficiency of a capacitor over time.

What causes energy loss in capacitors?

Energy loss in capacitors can be caused by several factors, including internal resistance in the capacitor, dielectric losses, leakage currents, and self-heating due to high frequencies or high voltages.

How does energy loss affect the performance of a capacitor?

Energy loss can decrease the efficiency and reliability of a capacitor, as it results in a decrease in the amount of stored energy and an increase in heat generation. This can affect the performance of the capacitor in applications that require high energy storage or low energy loss.

Can energy loss be prevented in capacitors?

Energy loss can be minimized by using high-quality capacitors with low internal resistance and leakage currents. Proper selection of the dielectric material and operating conditions can also reduce energy loss in capacitors.

What are some common methods of measuring energy loss in capacitors?

Common methods of measuring energy loss in capacitors include impedance spectroscopy, capacitance-voltage measurements, and dissipation factor measurements. These techniques can help determine the efficiency and performance of a capacitor and identify any potential energy loss issues.