Energy Loss Over Time: Showing F(t) - F(0) <= 0

In summary, the integral of u(x,t)^2 from a to b is less than or equal to the integral of u(x,0)^2 from a to b, indicating that energy is lost over time. This is proven using the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality and the heat equation.
eckiller
I need to show Integral( u(x, t)^2 dx from a to b) <= Integral( u(x, 0)^2 dx from a to b). In other words, energy is lost with time.

This is what I have so far, but I get stuck near the end.

Let F(t) = Integral( u(x, t)^2 dx from a to b)

F(t) - F(0) = Integral( dF/dt dt from 0 to t)

= Integral( Integral( 2u(x, t) * u_t(x, t) dx from a to b ) dt from 0 to t)

By heat equation: u_t = u_xx

= Integral( Integral( 2u(x, t) * u_xx(x, t) dx from a to b ) dt from 0 to t)

Now I integrate by parts and get:

= 2 Integral( u(b,t) u_x(b, t) - u(a, t) u_x(a, t) - Integral( u_x(x, t)^2 dx from a to b ) dt from 0 to t)

At this point I know Integral( u_x(x, t)^2 dx from a to b ) >= 0.

I would like to conclude that the entire RHS is <= 0 so that F(t) - F(0) <= 0, but for arbitrary boundary conditions I am stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org

To prove that the RHS is less than or equal to 0, you can use the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality:

|u(b,t) u_x(b,t) - u(a,t) u_x(a,t)| <= sqrt(Integral( u(b,t)^2 dx from a to b)) * sqrt(Integral( u_x(b,t)^2 dx from a to b))

= sqrt(F(t)) * sqrt(Integral( u_x(b,t)^2 dx from a to b))

= sqrt(F(t)) * sqrt(Integral( u_x(b,t)^2 dx from a to b))

= sqrt(F(t)) * sqrt(F(t)) = F(t)

Therefore, the RHS is less than or equal to F(t), which is less than or equal to 0. This means that F(t) - F(0) <= 0, or in other words, energy is lost with time.

FAQ: Energy Loss Over Time: Showing F(t) - F(0) <= 0

What is energy loss over time?

Energy loss over time refers to the decrease in the amount of energy in a system as time passes. This can occur due to various factors such as friction, heat transfer, and chemical reactions.

What is the significance of showing F(t) - F(0) <= 0 in relation to energy loss over time?

This equation represents the conservation of energy principle, which states that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant over time. This means that any energy loss in the system must be balanced by an equal amount of energy gain.

How is the concept of energy loss over time relevant in everyday life?

Energy loss over time is relevant in many aspects of our daily lives. For example, when we use electronic devices, the battery loses energy over time due to internal resistance. Similarly, when we drive a car, energy is lost through friction and heat transfer.

What are some factors that can contribute to energy loss over time?

Factors that can lead to energy loss over time include friction, heat transfer, chemical reactions, and electrical resistance. These processes convert some of the energy in a system into other forms, resulting in a decrease in the overall energy of the system.

How can we minimize energy loss over time in a system?

To minimize energy loss over time, we can take measures such as using lubricants to reduce friction, insulating materials to reduce heat transfer, and optimizing the design of a system to minimize energy waste. Additionally, using renewable energy sources can help reduce the overall energy loss in our daily activities.

Back