Energy-momentum tensor for the Dirac spinor

In summary, the author is having trouble calculating the energy momentum tensor for the dirac spinor. He is unsure on which values for the A index in the T^\mu{}_\nu forumula runs, and is struggling to find a way to express the lagrangian in its symmetrized form. He is also having difficulty understanding why the spin angular momentum is defined in terms of the A,B indices.
teddd
Hi there, I'm having a problem calculating the energy momentum tensor for the dirac spinor [tex]\psi (x) =\left(\begin{align}\psi_{L1}\\ \psi_{L2}\\\psi_{R1}\\ \psi_{R2}\end{align}\right)[/tex](free theory).

So, with the dirac lagrangian [tex]\mathcal{L}=i\bar{\psi}\gamma^\mu\partial_\mu\psi-m\bar{\psi}\psi[/tex]in hand i should be able to figure out the energy momentum tensor by using the formula[tex]T^\mu{}_\nu=\frac{\delta\mathcal{L}}{\delta \partial u_A}\partial_\nu u_A-\delta^\mu_\nu\mathcal{L}[/tex]
and since we're assuming the equations of motion to be true we can forget of the latter term in the above equation, and focus on the former.

Here come the probelms.
First of all, I'm not sure on which values does the [itex]A[/itex] index in the [itex]T^\mu{}_\nu[/itex] forumula run: are they 1L, 2L, 1R, 2R?

If so, how can you tell me explicitly how to do the functional derivation [itex]\frac{\delta\mathcal{L}}{\delta\partial u_A}[/itex]?

By writing explicitly the lagrangian (forgetting about the mass term) i get to
[tex]\mathcal{L}=i(\psi^*_{L1},\psi^*_{L2},\psi^*_{1R}, \psi^*_{2R})\gamma^0\partial_0\left(\begin{align} \psi_{L1}\\ \psi_{L2}\\ \psi_{R1}\\ \psi_{R2}\end{align}\right) +i(\psi^*_{L1},\psi^*_{L2},\psi^*_{1R},\psi^*_{2R})\gamma^1\partial_1\left(\begin{align}\psi_{L1}\\ \psi_{L2}\\\psi_{R1}\\ \psi_{R2}\end{align}\right)+i(\psi^*_{L1},\psi^*_{L2}, \psi^*_{1R},\psi^*_{2R})\gamma^2\partial_2\left (\begin{align}\psi_{L1}\\\psi_{L2}\\\psi_{R1}\\ \psi_{R2}\end{align}\right)+ i(\psi^*_{L1},\psi^*_{L2},\psi^*_{1R},\psi^*_{2R})\gamma^3\partial_3\left( \begin{align}\psi_{L1}\\\psi_{L2}\\\psi_{R1}\\ \psi_{R2}\end{align}\right)[/tex]and I stop here becaouse those gamma matrices makes the calculation ridiculously complicated, which bring me nowhere.

Can you folks help me??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to vary each component of the 4-spinor separately, but you do need to independently vary both ψ and ψ, because these are the two values of uA. So you'd better first integrate by parts and write the Lagrangian in its symmetrized form: ½ψγμ(∂μψ) - ½(∂μψμψ + mψψ.

Taking the functional derivative δL/δ∂μψ is easy, because L is linear in ∂μψ.

You don't need to vary each component of the 4-spinor separately, but you do need to independently vary both ψ and ψ, because these are the two values of uA

That was my first guess.

But can you explain me the following issue then?

The spin angular momentum [itex]S^{\mu\lambda\kappa}[/itex] is defined to be [tex]S^{\mu\lambda\kappa}=-i\frac{\delta\mathcal{L}}{\delta\partial_\mu u_A}(S^{\lambda\kappa})_{AB}u_B[/tex]where [itex]S^{\lambda\kappa}=\frac{i}{4}[\gamma^\lambda ,\gamma^\kappa][/itex].

Now here [itex]S^{\lambda\kappa}=\frac{i}{4}[\gamma^\lambda ,\gamma^\kappa][/itex] is a 4x4 matrix that acts on the 4 components of [itex]\psi (x) =\left(\begin{align}\psi_{L1}\\ \psi_{L2}\\\psi_{R1}\\ \psi_{R2}\end{align}\right)[/itex], so I'm pushed to say that those A,B indicies on the [itex](S^{\lambda\kappa})_{AB}[/itex] actually run over the 4 values (1L 2L 1R 2R), and so do the ones of the [itex]u_A[/itex]

Where am i mistaking?
Thanks for your time!

By the way, since the question has actually changed should I open a new post??

Related to Energy-momentum tensor for the Dirac spinor

1. What is the energy-momentum tensor for the Dirac spinor?

The energy-momentum tensor for the Dirac spinor is a mathematical object that describes the energy and momentum of a Dirac spinor field in spacetime. It is a 4×4 matrix that is constructed from the Dirac spinor field and its derivatives.

2. How is the energy-momentum tensor for the Dirac spinor derived?

The energy-momentum tensor for the Dirac spinor can be derived using the Noether's theorem, which relates symmetries in a physical system to conserved quantities. In this case, the energy-momentum tensor is derived from the symmetry of spacetime translations.

3. What is the physical significance of the energy-momentum tensor for the Dirac spinor?

The energy-momentum tensor for the Dirac spinor is a crucial component in the field equations of general relativity, which describe how matter and energy interact with spacetime. It represents the distribution of energy and momentum in a Dirac spinor field, which can affect the curvature of spacetime.

4. How is the energy-momentum tensor for the Dirac spinor used in theoretical physics?

The energy-momentum tensor for the Dirac spinor is used in theoretical physics to study the behavior of matter and energy in the presence of gravity. It is also used in the construction of quantum field theories, which describe the fundamental interactions between particles.

5. Are there any limitations to the energy-momentum tensor for the Dirac spinor?

One limitation of the energy-momentum tensor for the Dirac spinor is that it only applies to spin-1/2 particles, such as electrons and neutrinos. It does not accurately describe the energy and momentum of higher spin particles, such as photons or gravitons.