Energy of First Tunnelling Resonance

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the energy of the first tunnelling resonance for electrons moving through a 10eV barrier over a distance of 0.001mm. The equation for tunnelling probability was given and it was suggested to use a numerical approach, such as a spreadsheet, to solve for E. It was also mentioned that the formula may only be valid when E is less than the barrier voltage and that there may be resonances when E is greater than the barrier voltage.
Mr LoganC

Homework Statement

COnsider electrons tunnelling through a 10eV barrier over a distance 0.001mm.
Find E[itex]_{1}[/itex]. (The energy of the first tunnelling resonance.)

Homework Equations

I have an equation for the tunnelling probability:
T(E)=exp[itex]\left[-\sqrt{\frac{8m}{h^{2}}}\int(V(x)-E)^{1/2}dx\right][/itex]
where the integral would go from [itex]x_{1}[/itex] to 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

I would assume I use the above equation, where V(x) is given as the 10eV, m would be the mass of an electron (in eV?) and [itex]x_{1}[/itex] would be the distance of 0.001mm
He said easiest way would be "numerically (i.e. using a spreadsheet, etc.)"
So would I just set the tunnelling probability to 1 and solve for E? The first value being the first resonance energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is an exercise I have made some time ago; if I remember correctly, I think that the formula you have used is valid only when E<V; I think also that you should analyze what's going on for E>V and that in that case you can have resonances. I hope that what I remember is right :)

f.

FAQ: Energy of First Tunnelling Resonance

What is the Energy of First Tunnelling Resonance?

The Energy of First Tunnelling Resonance refers to the amount of energy needed for a particle to tunnel through a potential barrier. It is the lowest energy level at which tunneling can occur.

How is the Energy of First Tunnelling Resonance calculated?

The Energy of First Tunnelling Resonance is typically calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which takes into account the potential barrier, the mass of the particle, and the width of the barrier. This equation can be solved to determine the energy level at which tunneling can occur for a given system.

Why is the Energy of First Tunnelling Resonance important?

The Energy of First Tunnelling Resonance is important because it determines whether or not a particle can tunnel through a potential barrier. This phenomenon is crucial in understanding various processes in quantum mechanics, such as tunneling microscopy and nuclear fusion reactions.

Can the Energy of First Tunnelling Resonance be manipulated?

Yes, the Energy of First Tunnelling Resonance can be manipulated by changing the parameters of the system, such as the width and height of the potential barrier. This can be achieved using various techniques, such as applying an external electric field or changing the temperature of the system.

What are some real-world applications of the Energy of First Tunnelling Resonance?

The Energy of First Tunnelling Resonance has many practical applications, including in quantum computing, where it is used to control the flow of electrons in circuits. It is also important in the development of new technologies, such as tunneling diodes and transistors, which rely on the phenomenon of tunneling to function.

Back