Energy of Satellites(Homework question)

• Thread starter Vlad137
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation is about finding the total energy, kinetic energy, and binding energy of a 100kg satellite in orbit 620km above Earth's surface. The formula for kinetic energy is given and the total kinetic energy is calculated to be 2.85 x 10^9 Joules. The concept of binding energy is discussed, where the total mechanical energy is the sum of kinetic and gravitational potential energy. It is stated that orbits with total energies less than zero are bound orbits. The question of "total energy (at rest)" is raised and it is suggested that it may refer to gravitational potential energy alone.
Vlad137
Hi,

I have a question all based upon a 100kg satellite in orbit 620km above Earth's surface,
I need to find the total energy (at rest), kinetic energy (in orbit), and binding energy (in orbit) of said satellite.2.
I have tried to get the answer for the kinetic energy in orbit using:
1/2mv^2 = Total Kinetic Energy

I believe this is correct, getting the velocity by using the satellite motion formula v = sqrt[(GM)/r], where r is the radius of the Earth + the distance the satellite is from the Earth's surface.3.
1/2(100kg){sqrt[(2GM)/r]}^2 = Total Kinetic Energy
1/2(100kg)[(6.67 x 10^{-11} x 5.98 x 10^{24}kg) / (6.38 x 10^{6}m + 620'000m)]
Total Kinetic Energy = 2.85 x 10^{9} Joules
(is this correct?)However, I'm having trouble grasping how to get total energy and binding energy.
Could someone explain binding energy to me in terms of a satellite in orbit?

I understand the total energy during orbit will involve kinetic energy, but it asks for energy at rest and I'm not sure which type of energy it has during this time? Is it grav. potential energy?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Vlad137,

In future, please keep and use the formatting template headings when you create a new thread in the homework sections of Physics Forums.

The two types of energy that are important to orbits are kinetic energy and gravitational potential energy. You have stated a formula for kinetic energy, can you state one for gravitational potential energy?

The total mechanical energy is the sum of the above two energies, and is a constant for a given orbit. Orbits with total energies less than zero are bound orbits. If the energy is greater than or equal to zero then the obit is not bound an the object will head off to infinity (unless it happens to impact the central body it's orbiting).

I'm not sure what your question means by the "total energy (at rest)". Perhaps they're looking for the gravitational potential energy alone.

Related to Energy of Satellites(Homework question)

1. What is the energy of a satellite?

The energy of a satellite is the sum of its kinetic energy and potential energy. Kinetic energy is the energy possessed by a satellite due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy associated with its position in a gravitational field.

2. How do satellites maintain their energy?

Satellites maintain their energy through their orbit around a central body, such as the Earth. This orbit is maintained by the balance between the satellite's velocity and the gravitational force pulling it towards the central body.

3. How does the energy of a satellite affect its orbit?

The energy of a satellite directly affects its orbit. A higher energy level will result in a larger orbit and a lower energy level will result in a smaller orbit. If the energy is too low, the satellite may not have enough energy to maintain its orbit and can crash back to Earth.

4. How can we calculate the energy of a satellite?

The energy of a satellite can be calculated using the formula: E = K + U, where E is the total energy, K is the kinetic energy, and U is the potential energy. The kinetic energy can be calculated using the formula: K = (1/2)mv^2, where m is the mass of the satellite and v is its velocity. The potential energy can be calculated using the formula: U = -GMm/r, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the central body, m is the mass of the satellite, and r is the distance between them.

5. How does the energy of a satellite affect its speed?

The energy of a satellite is directly proportional to its speed. A higher energy level will result in a higher speed, and a lower energy level will result in a lower speed. This is because the kinetic energy of a satellite is dependent on its speed, as shown in the formula K = (1/2)mv^2.