Energy/Power content of Gasoline

• Thread starter GoldenAtlantis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gasoline
In summary, the conversation discussed finding the number of kW in a tank of gasoline. The person had read an article on an EV site mentioning 10,000 kW and 10 MW for a tank of gasoline. They were using calculations for a typical four door car with a 15 gallon tank and converting MJ to kWh. The final calculation resulted in 539.55 kWh for a full tank of gasoline.
GoldenAtlantis
I am trying to find how many kW in a tank of gasoline. I was wondering if someone can confirm this for me. I read in a article on a EV site that he mentioned 10,000 kW, 10 MW (for a tank of gasoline). The guy was from a national lab so I am trying to work the math out. I do not know the discharge time. Thanks

My information/Calculations:
Background: typical four door car, 15 gallon tank
31.6 MJ/L
42.7 MJ/kg
131 MJ/US Gallon
35.97 kWh (per gallon)
539.55 kWh (per tank, 15 gallons)

Physics news on Phys.org
I get 33.35 per gal. I converted liters directly to gallons via the 3.8L/gal

Thanks

Thanks for the help

FAQ: Energy/Power content of Gasoline

What is the energy/power content of gasoline?

The energy/power content of gasoline varies depending on the type and quality of gasoline, but on average, it is approximately 33.7 kilowatt-hours (kWh) per gallon or 114,000 British thermal units (BTUs) per gallon.

How is the energy/power content of gasoline measured?

The energy/power content of gasoline is typically measured in two units: kilowatt-hours (kWh) and British thermal units (BTUs). These units represent the amount of energy produced by burning one gallon of gasoline.

How does the energy/power content of gasoline compare to other fuels?

Gasoline has a higher energy/power content compared to other commonly used fuels such as diesel, ethanol, and propane. However, it has a lower energy/power content compared to natural gas and hydrogen.

What factors can affect the energy/power content of gasoline?

The energy/power content of gasoline can be affected by the composition of the gasoline, the temperature at which it is burned, and the efficiency of the engine using it. In addition, the energy/power content can also vary between different types and grades of gasoline.

How is the energy/power content of gasoline used in vehicles?

The energy/power content of gasoline is used to power the engine in a vehicle, which in turn drives the wheels and propels the vehicle forward. The combustion of gasoline in the engine produces energy that is converted into mechanical energy to move the vehicle.