Energy problem on bungee jumper

In summary: At 12.5m above the water, the cord is stretched to 30.45 m beyond its unstretched length. The jumper's speed on the first fall is 9.29 m/s.
decamij
I'm having trouble solving this problem. can n e one help me?

A bungee jumper of mass 64.5 kg (including safety gear) is
standing on a platform 48.0 m above a river. The length of
the unstretched bungee cord is 10.1 m. The force constant
of the cord is 65.5 N/m. The jumper falls from rest and just
touches the water at a speed of zero. The cord acts like an
ideal spring. Use conservation of energy to determine the
jumper’s speed at a height of 12.5 m above the water on
the first fall.

I used the work equation to find the total energy, then subtracted the elastic potential energy and gravitational potential energy at 12.5m above ground. Then i solved for Ek, and used THAT equation to solve for speed.
i got 9.29m/s, but the answer is 6.37m/s.

What did i do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
What were the numbers that you put into the term for elastic potential energy?

elastic potential energy is E = 0.5 kx^2, right?

I put: k = 65.5, x = 35.5 FIRST, but then i ended up getting a negative answer, so i used x = 12.5.

But is what i tried to do correct, did i miss anything? I'm starting to think that i calculated the total energy wrong. What did you get for total energy?

decamij said:
elastic potential energy is E = 0.5 kx^2, right?
Correct.
I put: k = 65.5, x = 35.5 FIRST, but then i ended up getting a negative answer, so i used x = 12.5.
Both x = 35.5 m and x = 12.5 m are wrong. How much is the cord stretched (beyond its unstretched length) when the jumper is 12.5 m above the water?

you should find the "delta X", by this equation: mgh=.5kx^2, I got 30.45 m for delta X,
then you should put this value in the equation: mgh=.5kx^2+mgh`+.5mv^2 and find the velocity..the initial X, 10.1, is extra in the given problem.

Related to Energy problem on bungee jumper

1. What is the energy problem on a bungee jumper?

The energy problem on a bungee jumper refers to the potential risk of the bungee cord not being able to absorb all of the kinetic energy of the jumper during the free fall. If this happens, the jumper can experience a sudden and dangerous rebound that can cause injury or death.

2. How is the energy problem addressed in bungee jumping?

The energy problem is addressed by using a bungee cord with a strong enough elasticity to safely absorb the kinetic energy of the jumper and prevent a dangerous rebound. The length and elasticity of the bungee cord are carefully calculated based on the weight and height of the jumper to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience.

3. What happens if the bungee cord is too short or too long?

If the bungee cord is too short, the jumper may hit the ground or water before the cord has fully stretched, causing serious injury or death. If the bungee cord is too long, the jumper may not experience a full free fall and the cord may not be able to absorb all of the kinetic energy, resulting in a dangerous rebound.

4. How do you calculate the appropriate length and elasticity of a bungee cord?

The length and elasticity of a bungee cord are calculated based on the weight and height of the jumper, as well as the height of the jump. A safety factor is also taken into account to ensure that the bungee cord can safely absorb the kinetic energy of the jumper without breaking. This calculation is typically done by experienced bungee jumping professionals.

5. What other safety measures are taken to prevent the energy problem in bungee jumping?

In addition to using the appropriate length and elasticity of the bungee cord, other safety measures include regularly inspecting and replacing worn or damaged bungee cords, having trained professionals supervise the jumps, and ensuring that the jumping platform and surrounding area are free from any potential hazards.

Back