Energy required for a chemical reaction

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of energy required for a 2-step chemical reaction, which was solved using an enthalpy equation and heat capacity correlations from a handbook. The final answer may be incorrect and it is questioned whether the activation energy should have been calculated with the Arrhenius equation instead. It is also suggested to consider using tabulated data and heat capacity equations to adjust for the reaction temperature.
jpills510
Hi all,

I'm looking for the energy required for a 2-step chemical reaction:

CaSO4 + S2 -> CaS + 2SO2
CaS + 3CaSO4 -> 4CaO + 4SO2

This reaction is to happen around 1600 deg. F. I solved for the heat of reaction for these two reactions with the following enthalpy equation: H2=H1+∫CpdT I used the heat capacity correlations from the Perry's Chemical Engineers' Handbook.

I found the overall energy required for these two reactions in terms of H2, but I'm afraid it may be wrong. My final answer for a temperature of 1600 deg. F is 2,818 kJ/mol.

I'm wondering if I went about this calculation correctly. I did not solve for the activation energy with the Arrhenius equation, is that something I should have done instead?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
jpills510 said:
Hi all,

I'm looking for the energy required for a 2-step chemical reaction:

CaSO4 + S2 -> CaS + 2SO2
CaS + 3CaSO4 -> 4CaO + 4SO2

This reaction is to happen around 1600 deg. F. I solved for the heat of reaction for these two reactions with the following enthalpy equation: H2=H1+∫CpdT I used the heat capacity correlations from the Perry's Chemical Engineers' Handbook.

I found the overall energy required for these two reactions in terms of H2, but I'm afraid it may be wrong. My final answer for a temperature of 1600 deg. F is 2,818 kJ/mol.

I'm wondering if I went about this calculation correctly. I did not solve for the activation energy with the Arrhenius equation, is that something I should have done instead?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Firstly when you say "energy required" are you meaning an activation energy to get the reaction started, or to calculate an energy (endotherm) per mole of product needed to drive the reaction?

If it is the latter that you are after, then the most important thing is to remember that enthalpy is a state function, and therefore independent of path. That means that the activation energy becomes quite irrelevant, and that you can make a calculation by first considering the (quite impractical) reaction at 25°C using tabulated data, and then adjusting by cooling your reactants from actual reaction temperature to 25°C and warming your products from 25°C to the actual reaction temperature using the heat capacity equations.

Related to Energy required for a chemical reaction

What is the definition of energy required for a chemical reaction?

The energy required for a chemical reaction, also known as the activation energy, is the minimum amount of energy needed for a reaction to occur. This energy is used to break existing bonds and form new ones, resulting in a chemical change.

How is the energy required for a chemical reaction determined?

The energy required for a chemical reaction is determined by the difference in energy between the reactants and products. This energy difference is known as the enthalpy change and can be measured using calorimetry or calculated using thermodynamic equations.

What factors affect the energy required for a chemical reaction?

The energy required for a chemical reaction is affected by factors such as the nature of the reactants, the concentration of reactants, temperature, and the presence of a catalyst. These factors can either increase or decrease the energy required for a reaction to occur.

Why is understanding the energy required for a chemical reaction important?

Understanding the energy required for a chemical reaction is important because it helps us predict and control the rate of a reaction. It also allows us to optimize reaction conditions, such as temperature and concentration, to increase efficiency and yield in industrial processes.

Can the energy required for a chemical reaction be changed?

Yes, the energy required for a chemical reaction can be changed by altering the reaction conditions. For example, increasing the temperature can lower the energy required for a reaction, while adding a catalyst can decrease the energy needed for a reaction to occur.