Energy units in the potential well problem

In summary, you attempted to solve Schrodinger's equation in two ways, to find out what unit to use for energy and to find out what unit to use for momentum. In both cases, you found that the SI unit should be used.
BlackMelon

Homework Statement

(Please look at the attached file too)

In one dimension time independent potential well, I want to know what is a suitable unit for energy (electron volts or joule)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In the attached picture, I've tried to analyze each variable's unit. I did this in two cases:
1) when I substitute energy terms in eV
2) when I'm doing so in joule

I substituted units into Schrodinger's Equation and I got 1=1 when I plugged energy with joule. (Please look at the bottom of the attachment)
After I've done this, I thought that the SI unit should be used so energy should be in joule. I plugged all available value in the equation but constants (coefficients) in the equation went crazy! Instead, energy in electron volt gave me much simpler equation to solve.

Thank you

Attachments

• ASK_ASK.jpg
    ASK_ASK.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 491
Physics news on Phys.org
What units you use have no physical significance and does not matter as long as you do it consistently.

Apart from that, it is not clear exactly what you are trying to do and your attachment appears to be very bad quality. This is why you should write everything out in your post rather than attaching images.

Please check the link below. This time you can zoom the picture without losing quality. (Sorry, I'm not good at writing these equation and potential wall on a forum.) I wonder why an equation in SI units side is very hard to solve. Are those equations in SI (Joule) and in electron volts correct?

http://www.mediafire.com/view/if6kjlcj0923518/ASK2.jpg

I sympathize: typing all this out in TeX is a load of work.
From what I can read comfortably now, you do a dimension check. Such a check doesn't concern itself with factors like 1.6##\;\times\;##10-19 !
And yes, working in eV is a lot more comfortable, especially if the energies given are already in eV !

Not to scare you, but theorists like Oro can live comfortably in a world where ##e = \hbar = c = 1##. They'd go even more crazy if they wouldn't do that :)
And, to given them due credit: it all comes out fully correct !

Related to Energy units in the potential well problem

What is a potential well in terms of energy units?

A potential well is a region in space where a particle experiences a force that can be described as a potential energy. This potential energy is typically measured in units of joules (J) or electron volts (eV).

How is the potential well depth related to energy units?

The potential well depth is a measure of the maximum potential energy that a particle can have within the well. It is directly related to the energy units used, with deeper potential wells having higher energy units.

What is the significance of the energy barrier in the potential well problem?

The energy barrier is the difference in potential energy between the bottom of the potential well and the top of the well. It represents the minimum energy that a particle must have to escape the well, and is an important factor in determining the behavior of particles within the well.

How are energy units used to describe the behavior of particles in a potential well?

Energy units are used to calculate the potential energy of a particle at any point within the potential well. This potential energy can then be used to determine the particle's velocity and position within the well, as well as its ability to escape the well.

Can different energy units be used to describe the same potential well problem?

Yes, different energy units can be used to describe the same potential well problem. However, it is important to note that the values of potential energy and energy barriers may differ depending on the chosen units. It is essential to use consistent units when comparing potential wells and their associated energies.