Energy/Work Q: Find Speed of Block in Frictionless & 0.350 Coeff Surfaces

• Thread starter jared bernstein
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in intro physics class involving a 2.00 kg block attached to a spring with a force constant of 500 N/m. The block is pulled 4.50 cm and released from rest, and the question asks for the block's speed as it passes through equilibrium on a frictionless surface (part a) and on a surface with a coefficient of friction of 0.350 (part b). The confusion arises from the different equations used in high school and college to calculate work and energy, specifically the inclusion of internal energy and work of friction. The poster requests an explanation or a solution to the problem, as there is confusion about the correct equation to use.
jared bernstein
Hey guys I am in intro physics in college and took physics in high school. I have a general question about work/energy. In high school we used work= change in total energy and total energy = PE +KE +Q (Internal) which =work. In class there was a problem that read
2.00 kg block is attached to a spring of force constant 500 N/m. The block is pulled 4.50 cm to the right of equilibrium and released from rest.

(a) Find the speed of the block as it passes through equilibrium if the horizontal surface is frictionless.

(b) Find the speed of the block as it passes through equilibrium (for the first time) if the coefficient of friction between block and surface is 0.350

What I don't understand is that my teacher said KE + PE +PEs =Wf (which is work of friction) but in high school (the equation above the friction or Q is on the other side and she says that the friction is equal to W.

Can anyone explain!

Or simply do the problem out for me I am getting mixed messages!

thanks

first post btw

Physics news on Phys.org
At question b) is it right equation?
Maybe we can ignore PE for horizontal spring. We can write: KE+PEs+Wf= konstan.

@ is it your theory right? I Think: work= the change of KE or work= the change of PE. Sorry if I am wrong.

At question a). The problem said frictionless. I think, in the equilibrium, the KE =total energy. And at the initial position (pullet 4.50cm) the PE (from the spring)= total energy. So, we get: 1/2 m v² = 1/2 k x².

Related to Energy/Work Q: Find Speed of Block in Frictionless & 0.350 Coeff Surfaces

Q: What is the formula for calculating speed of a block on a frictionless surface?

The formula for calculating speed of a block on a frictionless surface is speed = distance/time.

Q: How do you calculate the speed of a block on a surface with a coefficient of friction of 0.350?

To calculate the speed of a block on a surface with a coefficient of friction of 0.350, you would need to consider the additional force of friction acting on the block. The formula for calculating speed in this scenario would be speed = (force applied - force of friction)/mass.

Q: What is the difference between energy and work?

Energy and work are closely related concepts, but they have different meanings in the context of physics. Energy is the ability to do work, while work is the transfer of energy from one form to another. In other words, energy is a property of an object, while work is an action performed by an object.

Q: How does the speed of a block change when the coefficient of friction is increased?

When the coefficient of friction is increased, the force of friction acting on the block also increases. This means that the block will experience more resistance and its speed will decrease. The exact change in speed will depend on the mass of the block and the force applied to it.

Q: Can the speed of a block on a frictionless surface ever be zero?

Yes, the speed of a block on a frictionless surface can be zero. This would occur if the block is not acted upon by any external forces or if the forces acting on the block are balanced, resulting in a net force of zero. In this scenario, the block would remain at rest and have a speed of zero.