Engaging experiment involving chromate and acidity?

• Thread starter 24forChromium
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experiment
In summary, there is always an equilibrium between chromate and dichromate in water solutions, regardless of the presence of acidity. Additionally, these two anions can also be involved in the oxidation of alcohol, but this does not necessarily result in an equilibrium as the chromium anions in the alcohol will eventually reduce into other substances.
24forChromium
I am trying to get an idea of an experiment that deal with the equilibrium of Chromate and Dichromate with acidity being the independent, but I am not sure in what situation would a equilibrium between these two chemicals occur.

Beside the interchange of these two anions with each other, I was also told that chromate or dichromate was used in the oxidation of alcohol, however, I do not believe using either would generate an equilibrium, and instead, the chromate or dichromate in the alcohol will all reduce into something else until none of the original chromium anion is left.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
24forChromium said:
I am trying to get an idea of an experiment that deal with the equilibrium of Chromate and Dichromate with acidity being the independent, but I am not sure in what situation would a equilibrium between these two chemicals occur.

In water solutions there is always an equilibrium between chromate and dichromate, period.

Related to Engaging experiment involving chromate and acidity?

1. What is the purpose of an experiment involving chromate and acidity?

The purpose of this experiment is to investigate the effects of acidity on the ability of chromate ions to change color in a solution. This can help us understand the properties of chromate and how they may be affected by different levels of acidity.

2. How is the acidity of a solution measured in this experiment?

In this experiment, the acidity of a solution is measured using a pH scale, which ranges from 0 to 14. A pH of 7 is considered neutral, while values below 7 are acidic and values above 7 are basic. The more acidic a solution is, the lower its pH value will be.

3. What are the expected results of the experiment?

The expected results of the experiment may vary depending on the specific conditions and materials used. However, in general, it is expected that as the acidity of the solution increases, the color change of the chromate ions will become less noticeable or may even disappear completely. This is due to changes in the chemical reactions between the chromate ions and the acidic solution.

4. What safety precautions should be taken when conducting this experiment?

As with any experiment involving chemicals, it is important to follow proper safety precautions. This may include wearing protective gear such as gloves and goggles, working in a well-ventilated area, and properly disposing of the materials used. It is also important to read and follow all instructions and safety guidelines provided by the experiment protocol.

5. How can the results of this experiment be applied in real-world scenarios?

The results of this experiment can be applied in various industries and fields, such as water treatment, environmental science, and chemistry. Understanding how chromate ions react to different levels of acidity can help in the development of more efficient and effective methods for treating acidic solutions, as well as in detecting and monitoring acidity levels in natural environments.

Back