Engineering and Physics Double Degree: Is It Worth Pursuing?

In summary, a grade 12 student is applying to a double degree program in physics and electrical engineering in Canada. They are seeking opinions on the program and how to prepare for it, as well as potential job opportunities and advice for the program. The program is 4.5 years as an undergraduate and the student is interested in eventually starting their own company or working for large companies in the tech industry. The program is new and not yet updated on the university website.
SimmonSays
Hello. I am currently in grade 12 and applying to programs in Canada and I would like to go into engineering. Although, I am very passionate about physics and it's applications in so many fields. I found a unique program which is a double degree. It includes a major in physics and electrical engineering. It seems to fulfill all my interests, but I'm fearful of if I will be able to complete such a program. The program is also 4.5 years as an undergrad. I would like your opinions on the program. How should I prepare? Also, what types of jobs/careers can I do with such a program? I eventually want to start my own company (I love inventing and building - especially working with robotics), but I also wouldn't mind working for some of the large companies (I.e. Google, Facebook, Tesla, SpaceX). Honestly, any advice for this program would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
SimmonSays said:
Hello. I am currently in grade 12 and applying to programs in Canada and I would like to go into engineering. Although, I am very passionate about physics and it's applications in so many fields. I found a unique program which is a double degree. It includes a major in physics and electrical engineering. It seems to fulfill all my interests, but I'm fearful of if I will be able to complete such a program. The program is also 4.5 years as an undergrad. I would like your opinions on the program. How should I prepare? Also, what types of jobs/careers can I do with such a program? I eventually want to start my own company (I love inventing and building - especially working with robotics), but I also wouldn't mind working for some of the large companies (I.e. Google, Facebook, Tesla, SpaceX). Honestly, any advice for this program would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Might help if you post the program, so people here can review it/comment if they've taken it themselves!

I would post it if I could, buy it is a brand new program and not updated on the university website as of yet.

SimmonSays said:
I would post it if I could, buy it is a brand new program and not updated on the university website as of yet.

Your question is really hard to answer then, so I'll attempt to answer what I can.

SimmonSays said:
How should I prepare?

Have you taken advanced physics/chemistry/mathematics/other science courses at your high school if offered? This would help you prepare. You could also look at the course schedule for the major, and find syllabuses on the departments webpage if they post them. Once you have those you can start self studying texts while you wait to begin classes there.

SimmonSays said:
what types of jobs/careers can I do with such a program

A terminal bachelors degree in physics won't open many doors, but still would open up more opportunities than say, a B.S. in art studies. A physics degree should really been seen as a first step to graduate school. The EE degree will open up lots of opportunities for terminal bachelors employment. You could certainly start your own company with this degree (or without a degree at all! Then you'd have to hire EE's if it's a tech based company, but obviously knowing about the subject matter yourself is a boon), or work for the tech industry, if that's what you want to do.

I can't review the program, so I don't know if it's "good" or not, but as long its from a decent university (not a diploma mill) then the program will probably be adequate for either continued graduate studies or a career in EE.

Likes mechpeac
Thank you for the advice. I actually just got accepted and the program updated on the website. I made a new post with the information asking of the course load is actually doable. Thanks for all the advice!

/endthread

FAQ: Engineering and Physics Double Degree: Is It Worth Pursuing?

1. What are the benefits of choosing this program?

There are several potential benefits of choosing this program, including gaining specialized knowledge and skills in a specific field, having access to advanced resources and facilities, and potentially increasing job prospects and earning potential.

2. How does this program differ from similar programs?

This program may differ from similar programs in terms of curriculum, focus, and opportunities for hands-on experience. It is important to thoroughly research and compare programs to determine which one aligns best with your goals and interests.

3. What are the potential drawbacks of choosing this program?

Some potential drawbacks of choosing this program may include a heavy workload, high tuition costs, and limited job opportunities in the field. It is important to weigh the pros and cons and consider your personal circumstances before making a decision.

4. What kind of career opportunities can I expect after completing this program?

The specific career opportunities available after completing this program will depend on the field of study and the skills and knowledge gained. It is important to research the job market and potential career paths in the field before making a decision.

5. How will this program help me achieve my academic and career goals?

This program can help you achieve your academic and career goals by providing you with the necessary knowledge, skills, and experience in a specific field. It may also offer opportunities for networking and professional development, which can be helpful in reaching your goals.