Engineering Dynamics - Conservation of Energy

In summary, the conversation was about determining the maximum angle that sphere "B" will rebound after being hit by sphere "A" and the angle at which sphere "A" will rebound as a result of the impact. The solution involved using equations for conservation of energy and restitution, and set up a system of equations to solve for the unknown velocities. However, there were too many unknowns and the solution was not able to be fully determined.
ConnorM

Homework Statement

Two spheres are hanging from cords as shown. The distance from the ceiling to the center of each sphere is 2m, and the coefficient of restitution is 0.75. If sphere "A" [itex](m_a = 2kg)[/itex] is drawn back [itex]60^o[/itex] and released from rest, determine:

a) The maximum angle, [itex]θ_B[/itex] , that sphere "B" [itex](m_B = 3kg)[/itex]
b) The angle, [itex]θ_B[/itex], that sphere "A" will rebound as a result of the impact.

Homework Equations

[itex]
T=1/2 *mv^2[/itex]

[itex]V=mgh[/itex]

[itex]\sum T_1 + \sum V_1 = \sum T_2 + \sum V_2[/itex]

[itex]C_r = \frac{v_B_2 - v_A_2 }{v_A_ - v_B_}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by finding the height "A" was released from, since it is pulled back [itex]60^o[/itex],
[itex]sin60^o = \frac{2}{h}[/itex]

[itex]2sin60^o= \sqrt{3}[/itex]

Next I determined the [itex]V_1[/itex] that "A" had at that height and set it equal to it's velocity just as it reaches sphere "B",

[itex]m_A g h_A = 1/2 m_A v_A ^2[/itex]

[itex]2kg * 9.81 m/s^2 * \sqrt{3} = 1/2 * 2kg * v_a ^2[/itex]

[itex]v_a = 5.829 m/s[/itex]

Next I used my equation for restitution,

[itex]C_r = v_B_2 - v_A_2 / v_A_ - v_B_[/itex]

[itex]0.75 = v_B_2 - v_A_2 / 5.829 m/s - 0[/itex]

[itex]v_B_2 = 4.372 + v_A_2[/itex]
from here I subbed into my conservation of energy equation for when the balls first make contact to when they have separated,

[itex]1/2 m_A v_A ^2 =1/2 m_A v_A_2 ^2 + 1/2 m_B v_B_2 ^2 + m_A g h_A_2 + m_B g h_B[/itex]

I'm not quite sure what to do now, I don't think I can solve this since I have too many unknowns.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In your formula for Cr you substituted for the VA term in the denominator but not for VA in the numerator. Is there a reason for your doing this?

Related to Engineering Dynamics - Conservation of Energy

What is engineering dynamics?

Engineering dynamics is a branch of engineering that deals with the study of motion and forces in mechanical systems. It involves the application of Newton's laws of motion, conservation of energy, and other principles to analyze and design mechanical systems.

What is conservation of energy?

Conservation of energy is a fundamental principle in physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but only transferred from one form to another. In engineering dynamics, this principle is used to analyze and predict the behavior of mechanical systems.

How is conservation of energy applied in engineering dynamics?

In engineering dynamics, conservation of energy is applied by using the principle of energy balance, which states that the total energy of a system remains constant. This allows engineers to calculate the potential and kinetic energy of a system and use it to analyze and design mechanical systems.

What are some real-world applications of conservation of energy in engineering dynamics?

Conservation of energy is applied in various real-world applications, such as designing efficient machines and engines, predicting the motion of objects in space, and analyzing the behavior of structures under different loads. It is also used in renewable energy systems, such as wind turbines and solar panels, to optimize energy production.

What are some common challenges in applying conservation of energy in engineering dynamics?

One common challenge in applying conservation of energy in engineering dynamics is dealing with non-conservative forces, such as friction, which can cause energy loss in mechanical systems. Engineers also face challenges in accurately accounting for all forms of energy in a system and in dealing with complex systems with multiple energy inputs and outputs.

Back