Engineering physics employment prospects

In summary: For example, an electrical engineering degree will have more courses in electrical engineering.Mechanical engineering will have more courses in mechanical engineering. You will also have to take classes in mathematics, computer science, and physics. You can also specialize in certain areas after you get your degree.
Hyperfluxe
Hello,

I recently developed an interest in the engineering physics program. The best engineering physics program in Canada is at UBC and U of T: take a look at the courses http://www.engphys.ubc.ca/courses/course-tables/ All the courses sound very interesting to me, and it definitely sounds like the perfect program for me, plus it's the only engineering physics coop program in Canada. The only reason that I'm reluctant is because of employment opportunities. My ultimate goal is an R&D position, it seems as an engineering physics degree would be best for me.

How are the job prospects for this degree? Is it too broad (jack of all trades) that employers won't hire you? I am debating between electrical and mechanical engineering, which engineering physics encompasses (plus mechatronics and computer engineering). Would it be better to go into an old fashioned field (electrical or mechanical) for R&D? Salary does not matter, I'm sure any job title with engineer in it pays decent enough. Will I be able to apply for electrical engineering or mechanical engineering specific jobs? I've done a job search, there are very few jobs that specially demand an engineering physics degree, so I'm a little worried.

It's just that this degree sounds the most interesting, it's broad and you can specialize in so many things such as microelectronics, photonics, plasma physics, optics and laser, mechatronics, etc. The best of both worlds. I'd like to read people's opinions on this degree. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Engineering physics is the creme de la creme of engineering, but that looks more like engineering physics with electronics. meaning too little math too much electronics.

So what would be a good engineering physics program? What is supposed to be a good eng phys program?

Hyperfluxe said:
So what would be a good engineering physics program? What is supposed to be a good eng phys program?

There is no good or bad. I guess it depends on what master you want to take.

Sweden's most prestigious engineering/science school Royal Institute of Technology has this curriculum:

http://www.kth.se/student/kurser/program/ctfys/ht11/arskurs1?l=en_UK

Then you can pick a master (2y) in anything from theoretical physics to aerospace engineering.

Dont worry too much about the courses almost all engineering degrees are the same in the beginning.

I can understand your concerns about the employment prospects for an engineering physics degree. Engineering physics is a unique and interdisciplinary field, combining principles and techniques from both engineering and physics. This can make it a very appealing degree for those interested in research and development positions, as it provides a strong foundation in both areas.

In terms of job prospects, it's important to note that the demand for engineers in general is expected to grow in the coming years. According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of engineers is projected to grow 4% from 2018 to 2028, which is about as fast as the average for all occupations. This means that there will likely be job opportunities available for engineering physics graduates, especially in industries such as aerospace, defense, and renewable energy.

However, it's also important to keep in mind that the job market can vary depending on location and industry. Some areas may have a higher demand for engineers than others, and certain industries may have a greater need for specific types of engineers. It may be beneficial for you to research the job market in your desired location and industry to get a better understanding of the opportunities available for engineering physics graduates.

In terms of being too broad for employers, it's important to highlight the unique skills and knowledge that an engineering physics degree provides. With a strong background in both engineering and physics, graduates are equipped with a diverse set of skills that can be applied to a wide range of industries and job roles. Additionally, many employers value the interdisciplinary approach and problem-solving abilities that engineering physics graduates possess.

Ultimately, the decision between pursuing a degree in electrical or mechanical engineering versus engineering physics should be based on your personal interests and career goals. All three fields offer unique opportunities and it's important to choose the one that aligns best with your passions and future plans. Additionally, it may be possible to specialize in a specific area within engineering physics, such as microelectronics or mechatronics, to make yourself more marketable to potential employers.

In conclusion, while there may be fewer job postings specifically asking for an engineering physics degree, the skills and knowledge gained from this program can make you a strong candidate for a variety of engineering positions. It's important to research the job market and understand your career goals in order to make the best decision for your future. I wish you the best of luck in your academic and professional pursuits.

FAQ: Engineering physics employment prospects

1. What is engineering physics and what career opportunities does it offer?

Engineering physics is a multidisciplinary field that applies the principles of physics to the design and development of new technologies and solutions for various industries. This field offers a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as aerospace, energy, materials science, and nanotechnology.

2. What are the employment prospects for engineering physics graduates?

The employment prospects for engineering physics graduates are quite promising. With a strong background in both engineering and physics, graduates are highly sought after in industries that require a combination of technical and theoretical skills. This includes fields such as research and development, product design, and consulting.

3. What skills and qualifications are required for a career in engineering physics?

A career in engineering physics typically requires a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, as well as a deep understanding of engineering principles and practices. Employers also look for candidates with strong problem-solving and analytical skills, as well as the ability to work in a team and communicate effectively.

4. What are some potential job titles for engineering physics graduates?

Some potential job titles for engineering physics graduates include research engineer, product development engineer, materials engineer, nanotechnology engineer, and aerospace engineer. Graduates may also pursue careers in fields such as renewable energy, electronics, and telecommunications.

5. What is the job outlook for engineering physics in the future?

The job outlook for engineering physics is expected to be positive in the future. As technology continues to advance, there will be a growing demand for professionals who can apply their knowledge of physics and engineering to solve complex problems and develop innovative solutions. Additionally, the field of engineering physics is constantly evolving, creating new opportunities for graduates to contribute to cutting-edge research and development.

Back