Engineering possible for non-inventors ?

• Thread starter Ghost ic0n
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, Ghost ic0n is looking into engineering as a possible profession and is considering whether or not he is creative enough for the job. He thinks that problem solving is a key part of the job and is excited to learn more about the field. He is unsure of what type of engineering he should pursue, but is open to learning more about it.
Ghost ic0n
Engineering possible for "non-inventors"?

Hello everyone,

I'm going to start 12th grade this year and the profession I'm leaning towards is engineering. Now, I do know that engineering involves creativity and the sense to be able to invent various devices/structures/etc. But according to almost all the videos I've watched and articles I've read regarding what engineering is and what engineers do, is the important part called problem solving.

Here's where I think I fit in. I've always liked the concept of being an engineer because of the challenging problems that are figured out by applying various formulae and integrating previous knowledge with the modern knowledge database. I've improved my math grades to around 89% - 93% and enjoy problem solving in Physics as well. The downside, though, is the fact that I'm not very creative. I can't think of crazy devices that do various functions or what parts will be used to make them but, I rather look to apply my knowledge to fix or find a solution to a certain problem.

Plus, the fact of doing different things everyday and working with a team thrills me. I've always been flexible and enjoyed open environments where I'm not limited to a little corner with a computer to type away at all day. And being a team player is a natural trait of mine rather it be the leader or simply a working under a leader. Does that fill the gaps needed for a project to complete; The work of other team members on different parts of the project? Or, will the engineering course(s) broaden my level of creativity?

I would really like to know what you guys think and if a current engineer who went through the same stage as I'm currently in share his/her thoughts and experiences, then that would be more than to ask for.

Thanks in advance everyone.

P.S.: What would be your recommended field in engineering for me with my current mind-set? The thought of robotic engineering always appeals to me though the requirements may be out of what abilities I currently have.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hey Ghost ic0n, cool, creative name you have got there.

Don't worry about being creative... the secret is hard work and intimate knowledge of problems. The people who invent things have been doing it the hard way for years before the light bulb turns on. You have to really get your hands dirty and be willing to throw out dumb ideas. Just keep thinking of dumb ideas to solve your problem... eventually you will realize one of those dumb ideas wasn't dumb at all.

Also, don't dwell on figuring out your life. Just move forward. Take courses, study hard, do well, get a job, figure stuff out... you will be happy in no time.

Robots are kick *** and you should definitely start building them now if you're interested.

I would hazard a guess that only a small percentage of engineers invent things in the sense that I think you mean.

What engineers DO "invent" is clever ways to solve the problems that they are given by their employers. There IS a lot of creativity involved in being a really good engineer but if you enjoy engineering and are half-way decent at math, you'll do well.

Thank you for the replies. Huntoon, I am going to agree with you that I think about my life too much and often get confused about my future. The thoughts of taking care of a family, work and how it will be, payments/bills etc. and life in general end up putting me in a spot where I don't want to end up at. As for my username, you're just being nice. ;)

@phinds: Even my big head couldn't think of a rough conclusion to what "engineering" really is even after doing plenty of research about it. I'm now seeing what the engineers really meant about what engineering is in the vast number of interviews I watched. I'll be sure to keep that in mind when I hit college.

As for the type of engineering I had asked you guys to think would suit me, I'm guessing I have the freedom of choice as long as I know the fundamentals of that particular field/type of engineering and most importantly, enjoy working in it... Right? :)

I can say that engineering is definitely possible for non-inventors. While creativity is an important aspect of engineering, problem solving is also a crucial skill. It sounds like you have a strong aptitude for problem solving, which is a great foundation for an engineering career.

In fact, many engineers may not consider themselves to be "inventors" in the traditional sense, but rather problem solvers who use their knowledge and skills to come up with practical solutions. It is also common for engineers to work in teams, so being a team player is definitely an important trait to have.

In terms of which field of engineering may be best for you, it ultimately depends on your interests and strengths. Robotic engineering may be a good fit for you, but there are also many other fields such as mechanical, electrical, or civil engineering that also involve problem solving and teamwork. I would recommend exploring different fields and talking to professionals in those fields to get a better understanding of what they involve and which may be the best fit for you.

Overall, I believe that with your strong problem solving skills and interest in engineering, you have the potential to excel in this field. I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

Related to Engineering possible for non-inventors ?

1. Can anyone become an engineer, even if they are not naturally inclined towards inventing?

Yes, anyone can become an engineer with the right education, training, and dedication. While some individuals may have a natural talent for inventing, engineering is a broad field that encompasses many different specialties, such as civil engineering, mechanical engineering, and electrical engineering. With the proper education and training, anyone can develop the skills needed to become a successful engineer.

2. Do I need to have a strong background in math and science to pursue a career in engineering?

A strong understanding of math and science is essential for a career in engineering. These subjects provide the foundation for understanding the principles and concepts used in engineering. However, this does not mean that you need to be a math or science genius. With hard work and determination, anyone can improve their skills in these areas and become a successful engineer.

3. Is engineering a hands-on field, or is it mainly theoretical?

Engineering is a hands-on field that involves both theoretical and practical applications. While engineers use their knowledge of math, science, and technology to design and create solutions, they also need to be able to physically build and test their ideas. This often involves working with various tools, machinery, and equipment to bring their designs to life.

4. Can I specialize in a specific type of engineering, even if I am not an inventor?

Absolutely! As mentioned earlier, engineering is a broad field with many different specialties. You can choose to focus on a particular area of engineering that interests you, such as environmental engineering, aerospace engineering, or computer engineering. While inventing may be a part of some engineering specialties, it is not a requirement for all of them.

5. What are some potential career paths for non-inventor engineers?

There are numerous career paths available for non-inventor engineers. Some common roles include project engineer, design engineer, quality control engineer, and research engineer. Engineers can also work in a variety of industries, such as manufacturing, construction, transportation, and technology. With the diverse range of specialties and industries within engineering, there are many opportunities for non-inventors to have successful and fulfilling careers in this field.