Entanglement and Some Unanswered Questions

• Thread starter Neandethal00
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Entanglement
In summary: UP and DOWN at the same time?In summary, the two heaviest entangled particles so far are electrons and protons. There is no limit on the mass for entanglement. If one of the entangled photons is detected, the entanglement is destroyed.
Neandethal00
Unanswered to me at least. I have read many articles, forum discussions on quantum entanglement but never found anyone discussing these questions. Here they are:
1) How do they create (mechanism) entanglement? or How 2 particles are generated entangled?
2) What are the differences (properties) between 2 entangled and 2 non-entangled particles? Can we tell by looking at 2 particles if they are entangled or not without the 'entanglement test'?
3) What are the 2 heaviest entangled particles generated so far? Electrons, Protons? Neutrons? Is there any limit on mass for entanglement?
4) Is it true if polarization of one of 2 entangled photons is changed before detection, the other photon will also change its polarization?

I'm really interested to know what makes 2 particles entangled. I think the answers to our entanglement problems lie in the process of entangling them.

Physics news on Phys.org
Neandethal00 said:
1) How do they create (mechanism) entanglement? or How 2 particles are generated entangled?
Just about any interaction between particles will cause them to be entangled in some way for a while, so there are many different ways of producing entangled pairs. Google for "spontaneous parametric down conversion" and "calcium cascade photon pair" for two examples. Any serious report of an experiment involving entangled particles will include an explanation of how the entanglement was produced.
2) What are the differences (properties) between 2 entangled and 2 non-entangled particles? Can we tell by looking at 2 particles if they are entangled or not without the 'entanglement test'?
There is no way of knowing whether a single particle is entangled. I have to measure both members of the pair and then compare the results, and even then it might just be a coincidence. Thus, I have to look at multiple pairs coming from my before I can conclude that the pairs it generates ate entangled.

It's as if you and I were playing a game in which we both toss a coin at the same time and compare the results. In a single trial there's a 50% chance that we'll both get the same result, so there's nothing surprising if we play the game once and get that result. But if we do many trials and get the same result every time we'd be very surprised and would know that something weird was going on.
4) Is it true if polarization of one of 2 entangled photons is changed before detection, the other photon will also change its polarization?
No, but not for the reason you're thinking. The way quantum mechanics works, the polarization has no value before it is measured - and that is literally "has no value", not "it has some value but we don't know what it is yet". Thus, it is meaningless to talk about the polarization changing before measurement - there's no polarization to change until the measurement happens.

Likes vanhees71 and bhobba
Thanks. I now got some idea and some direction what type of article to look for.
About polarization, after posting the thread I realized, a polarizer also performs some kind of detection.
Then it must be true if one of the two entangled photons is detected for measurement, the entanglement is destroyed.

More questions:
I'm suspicious that quantum entanglement has entered into pop culture like Black Holes. The reason of my questions is online forums that deals with science are flooded with layman's interpretations of quantum entanglement.These layman are presenting entanglement as more mysterious than it really is. Another thread in PF on this subject also felt the same way as I'm being slowly convinced.

Here is another question, anyone please answer:

1) Two entangled particles are separated at distances, we'll call them P1 and P2. We'll perform first measurement only on P1. We have different instants of time t1, t2, t3..(t1<t2<t3..). Measurement on P1 can be made at t1 or t2 or t3..etc. A measurement at t1 shows spin is UP, but instead if we take measurements at t2 or t3, can the measurement show spin is DOWN? (Note, I understand measurement can be made only once).
If the answer is YES, then I understand why entanglement is so mysterious.

Now if we take a measurement on P2 at times T1, T2, T3.. etc, (T's are after a measurement is made on P1 with result spin=UP). Is it correct to say , doesn't matter when the measurement on P2 is taken, the result will always be spin=DOWN?

2) What I'm suggesting is Binary properties of particles, UP/DOWN, LEFT/RIGHT, etc are not good tests for entanglement.
Have they made any measurements on multi-valued properties, such as speed (momentum), etc? What are the results of speed of P2, AFTER speed of P1 is known?

Btw, @stevie, @Jerom, thanks. The articles in those two links are very new, interesting and important to the questions I asked.

Neandethal00 said:
Here is another question, anyone please answer:

1) Two entangled particles are separated at distances, we'll call them P1 and P2. We'll perform first measurement only on P1. We have different instants of time t1, t2, t3..(t1<t2<t3..). Measurement on P1 can be made at t1 or t2 or t3..etc. A measurement at t1 shows spin is UP, but instead if we take measurements at t2 or t3, can the measurement show spin is DOWN? (Note, I understand measurement can be made only once).
If the answer is YES, then I understand why entanglement is so mysterious.

Now if we take a measurement on P2 at times T1, T2, T3.. etc, (T's are after a measurement is made on P1 with result spin=UP). Is it correct to say , doesn't matter when the measurement on P2 is taken, the result will always be spin=DOWN?

2) What I'm suggesting is Binary properties of particles, UP/DOWN, LEFT/RIGHT, etc are not good tests for entanglement.
Have they made any measurements on multi-valued properties, such as speed (momentum), etc? What are the results of speed of P2, AFTER speed of P1 is known?

1) The results of spin measurements on P1 and P2 are completely independent of time, time ordering, etc. Once either particle's spin is observed, that particle will continue to yield the same value in subsequent observations. If P1 is UP at T2, then expect an UP at T3.

(Please recall that there is no meaning to unperformed observations when you speak about quantum systems. So trying to ascribe a value to spin at earlier T1 is not considered meaningful.)2) Binary properties are great tests for entanglement. But the real magic shows up when you measure P1 and P2 at different angles. That is when Bell's Theorem comes into play.

On the other hand, there are many multi-valued properties (not binary) that evidence entanglement. Examples are momentum, time, frequency, energy, position. And there are actually many more, although these get very advanced very quickly. The technique is to develop a Bell Inequality around the observable, and then perform an experiment to obtain a value.

I still think binary properties are not very convincing proofs.
But I do not see why physicists are so mystified by quantum entanglement.
What we know so far and the links given by Jeromy and Stevie draw a somewhat
clear picture of entanglement.

Entanglement occurs due to interactions between two quantum particles, which
can generally be represented by superposition of 2 wavefunctions - creating a
single new wavefunction.

Physicists are puzzled, I think, by the stretching of 'a single wave function'. Jeromy's link
shows existence superposition of particles .5m apart. It appears to me two entangled particles, separated by distance share the same wave function - a stretched wavefunction. So the question is

1) Not how far a wavefunction can be physically stretched, but what physical or non-physical
actions, (in between 2 separated particles) breaks the entanglement? Breaking take place
in our everyday events.

After reading the link by Stevie it occurred to me entanglements take palce in many forms in nature.
2) Can it be that Earth-Moon (or similar pairs) are also entangled? The statement is not far fetched if one assumes 2 wavefunctions are replaced with 2 gravitational fields, a transition from 2 microscopic worlds into 2 macroscopic worlds.

Well, I guess this necessitate closing of this thread, too much speculation, unless
someone already has info to back it up.From now on, I'd not be puzzled by entanglement unless I hear something new.
Thank you all.

Neandethal00 said:
I'd not be puzzled by entanglement
In my opinion it is not the nature of quantum physics which is puzzling but rather the "mechanism" which seems to contradict classical "mechanisms" on some points but mimics other classical behavior, i.e. wave nature.

Related to Entanglement and Some Unanswered Questions

1. What is entanglement?

Entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where two or more particles become linked together in a way that their properties are dependent on each other, even when separated by large distances. This means that measuring one particle can instantly affect the properties of the other particle, regardless of the distance between them.

2. How is entanglement created?

Entanglement can be created through a variety of methods, such as passing particles through a special crystal or using a laser to split a single photon into two entangled photons. It can also occur naturally, for example, when two particles interact and become entangled through their mutual interactions.

3. What are some potential applications of entanglement?

Entanglement has potential applications in quantum computing, cryptography, and teleportation. It could also be used for secure communication, as any attempt to eavesdrop on an entangled particle would cause a change in its properties, alerting the communicating parties to potential interception.

4. What are the unresolved questions about entanglement?

Some of the unanswered questions about entanglement include how particles become entangled in the first place, how entanglement is maintained over large distances, and how entanglement behaves in different environments. Scientists are also trying to understand the implications of entanglement for our understanding of the fundamental nature of reality.

5. Can entanglement be used for faster-than-light communication?

No, entanglement does not allow for faster-than-light communication. While measuring one entangled particle instantly affects the other, this does not violate the laws of relativity as no information is actually being transmitted between the particles. Any attempt to use entanglement for communication would still be limited by the speed of light.