Entering material science from an engineering background

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of material science and the necessary knowledge and background required for a successful graduate school application in this field. The individual has a mechanical engineering background and is concerned about their lack of knowledge in quantum mechanics and chemistry of materials. Suggestions are given to potentially take courses in these topics and to also improve understanding in linear algebra. It is noted that the distinction between engineering and physics is often blurred at the graduate level.
musk
Hi!

I know that material science lies at the interface of physics and chemistry and that any material scientist must have knowledge of chemistry, quantim mechanics, solid state physics,...

The problem I face is that I am quite keen on entering material science with a mechanical engineering background. I did my undergraduate in mechanical engineering and I am now looking for a material science grad school.

I realize that I don't have any knowledge whatsoever of the aforementioned topics. As a mechanical engineering study we did study things related to materials, like mechanics of materials, very very basic intro to material science, heat treatment, and so on so I guess that's a plus. What I lack of knowledge is what is bothering me since I see it as a big minus on my resume.
Moreover I am worried about the grad school application interview where they regularly ask you about quantum mechanics and chemistry of materials.

I know that mechanical engineers can study material science, but I wonder whether in my specific case that would be possible since I have no knowledge on quantum mechanics and chemistry of materials.

What do you suggest me then to do, since I am determined to continue down that path?

I appreciate any info, preferably from material scientists.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if you're determined to go down a path that requires knowledge of quantum mechanics, I suggest you take quantum mechanics.

How's your linear algebra?

Likes 1 person
musk said:
Hi!

I know that material science lies at the interface of physics and chemistry and that any material scientist must have knowledge of chemistry, quantim mechanics, solid state physics,...

The problem I face is that I am quite keen on entering material science with a mechanical engineering background. I did my undergraduate in mechanical engineering and I am now looking for a material science grad school.

I realize that I don't have any knowledge whatsoever of the aforementioned topics. As a mechanical engineering study we did study things related to materials, like mechanics of materials, very very basic intro to material science, heat treatment, and so on so I guess that's a plus. What I lack of knowledge is what is bothering me since I see it as a big minus on my resume.
Moreover I am worried about the grad school application interview where they regularly ask you about quantum mechanics and chemistry of materials.

I know that mechanical engineers can study material science, but I wonder whether in my specific case that would be possible since I have no knowledge on quantum mechanics and chemistry of materials.

What do you suggest me then to do, since I am determined to continue down that path?

I appreciate any info, preferably from material scientists.

Thank you.

This could be different for different schools, different countries, and different institutions. But from my experience, the term "material science" is associated more with engineering than physics. I've seen schools that list such a department or major in the engineering college.

https://www.engr.wisc.edu/mse.html
http://www.matse.illinois.edu/
http://www.mse.engin.umich.edu/

The less ambiguous terminology is condensed matter physics, which includes solid state physics. That is usually within the physics field of study.

So it really depends on what you actually mean as "material science" here. I will also note that at the graduate level, the definitive line between the engineering field and the physics field is extremely blurred. You could easily dive into the physics aspect of it from the engineering side, or dive into the engineering aspect of it from the physics side.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
I understand what you mean Zz. The schools I am interested in have material science listed under their engineering departments. And I know that any solid MSE graduate school requires the students to know quantum mechanics, albeit not on the level of a condensed matter physicist, unless someone focuses on semiconductors and such.

Lisab, well I can take quantum mechanics on my own, but will that have any weight in front of the admission committee since I didn't take in my undergraduate years (tbh they don't even offer it since I am at the faculty of engineering, it's not like in the USA).

Regarding linear algebra I am not familiar with certain topics like eigenvalues, but I should be fine with the rest. I took the griffiths quantum mechanics book and I understand the majority of the equations I saw.

musk said:
I understand what you mean Zz. The schools I am interested in have material science listed under their engineering departments. And I know that any solid MSE graduate school requires the students to know quantum mechanics, albeit not on the level of a condensed matter physicist, unless someone focuses on semiconductors and such.

Lisab, well I can take quantum mechanics on my own, but will that have any weight in front of the admission committee since I didn't take in my undergraduate years (tbh they don't even offer it since I am at the faculty of engineering, it's not like in the USA).

Regarding linear algebra I am not familiar with certain topics like eigenvalues, but I should be fine with the rest. I took the griffiths quantum mechanics book and I understand the majority of the equations I saw.

It is important that you re-learn linear algebra then. A large portion of graduate studies in QM require extensive knowledge of eigenvalues, etc.

Sentin3l said:
It is important that you re-learn linear algebra then. A large portion of graduate studies in QM require extensive knowledge of eigenvalues, etc.

Well said. I'll have to do it. Thank you for your input!

ZapperZ said:
This could be different for different schools, different countries, and different institutions. But from my experience, the term "material science" is associated more with engineering than physics. I've seen schools that list such a department or major in the engineering college.

https://www.engr.wisc.edu/mse.html
http://www.matse.illinois.edu/
http://www.mse.engin.umich.edu/

The less ambiguous terminology is condensed matter physics, which includes solid state physics. That is usually within the physics field of study.

So it really depends on what you actually mean as "material science" here. I will also note that at the graduate level, the definitive line between the engineering field and the physics field is extremely blurred. You could easily dive into the physics aspect of it from the engineering side, or dive into the engineering aspect of it from the physics side.

Zz.

Seconded. Materials science implies an engineering context. Materials science done in physics departments tends to fall under condensed matter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Entering material science from an engineering background

1. What is the difference between material science and engineering?

Material science is the study of the properties, structures, and applications of materials, while engineering is the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design and build structures, systems, or processes. Material science focuses on the fundamental properties of materials, while engineering uses this knowledge to design and create useful products or technologies.

2. Can an engineer enter the field of material science without a specific degree in the subject?

Yes, it is possible for an engineer to enter the field of material science without a specific degree in the subject. Many engineers have a strong foundation in materials and may have taken courses related to material science during their undergraduate studies. Additionally, some companies may offer on-the-job training or professional development opportunities for engineers to learn more about material science.

3. What skills are necessary for a successful transition from engineering to material science?

Some important skills for a successful transition from engineering to material science include a strong understanding of mathematics, physics, and chemistry, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving abilities. Familiarity with computer-aided design (CAD) software and laboratory techniques may also be beneficial.

4. Are there any specific industries or areas where engineers with a background in material science are in high demand?

Engineers with a background in material science are in high demand in industries such as aerospace, automotive, electronics, and energy. They are also sought after for research and development roles in materials companies, government agencies, and universities.

5. How can an engineer stay updated on advancements and new developments in material science?

To stay updated on advancements and new developments in material science, engineers can attend conferences, workshops, and seminars, as well as read scientific journals and publications. They can also join professional organizations and networks related to material science and engineering, which often provide access to resources and opportunities for continuing education and professional development.