Entrance resistance of a simple MOSFET circuit

In summary, the problem asks to find the internal resistance at Vin. By simplifying the circuit and applying Thenevin's theorem, the internal resistance is found to be 2622 Ω. However, this appears to be incorrect according to the given solution, which states the resistance to be 2.2kΩ. The input resistance at a MOSFET gate is typically very high, and in this circuit, it is determined to be R1 // R2. The gate connection is shown as an open circuit in the model. The positive voltage rail is assumed to be adequately bypassed for analysis purposes.
Jalo

Homework Statement

Find the internal resistance seen at Vin.

2e4ghfb.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To solve the problem I started by ignoring the condensators and substituting the MOSFET by it's model. This resulted in the following circuit:

2u79m5d.png

By applying Thenevin's theorem it's possible to find the internal resistance. To do that I applied a test voltage source, VT, at the terminals and I proceeded to find an expression that relates VT with the current i that passes through it.

By doing so I got to the result R = 2622 Ω. This appears to be wrong tho, since the solutions state that the resistance is 2.2kΩ.

If someone could help me I'd appreciate.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
VDD is the DC power supply, and to AC signals it represents a very low impedance (i.e., a short-circuit) to ground.

The input resistance at a MOSFET gate is supposed to be very high, of the order of GΩ I think you'll find. (There is also some capacitance , which is always unavoidable.) The biasing resistors are parallel to this GΩ resistance, so the input resistance of this circuit amounts to just R1 // R2.

That's the easy part. :smile:

http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/109/holly1756.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
The model for a Mosfet usually shows a gate connection as an open circuit because the input resistance is close enough to infinite.

So, you would put R1 in parallel with R2 to ground and not have it go to the top of the current generator.

The positive voltage rail is regarded as ground for analysis purposes because it is assumed to be adequately bypassed.

You would then have a line going towards the current generator, but terminating in a small circle with the letter "G" (for gate) next to it.

FAQ: Entrance resistance of a simple MOSFET circuit

1. What is the definition of entrance resistance in a simple MOSFET circuit?

The entrance resistance of a simple MOSFET circuit is a measure of the resistance that the input signal encounters as it enters the circuit. It is typically measured between the gate and source terminals of the MOSFET.

2. How does the size of the MOSFET affect its entrance resistance?

The entrance resistance of a MOSFET is inversely proportional to its size. This means that a larger MOSFET will have a lower entrance resistance compared to a smaller MOSFET.

3. What factors can affect the entrance resistance of a simple MOSFET circuit?

The entrance resistance of a simple MOSFET circuit can be affected by various factors, such as the gate material, channel length, channel width, and temperature. Changes in these factors can cause fluctuations in the entrance resistance.

4. How does the input voltage affect the entrance resistance of a MOSFET?

The entrance resistance of a MOSFET is not affected by the input voltage. It remains constant regardless of the input voltage level. However, changes in the input voltage can affect the channel width, which in turn can affect the entrance resistance.

5. Why is it important to consider the entrance resistance in a MOSFET circuit?

The entrance resistance of a MOSFET circuit is an important parameter to consider because it can affect the overall performance and efficiency of the circuit. A high entrance resistance can lead to signal distortion and reduce the sensitivity of the circuit, while a low entrance resistance can improve signal integrity and increase the efficiency of the circuit.