Entropy and thermodynamics question

In summary, the conversation explores Planck's solution to Gibbs paradox by considering the indistinguishability of identical particles. Planck's solution corrects for over-counting of states by writing the number of possible arrangements as a function of temperature, volume, and heat capacity. Using Boltzmann's principle, it can be shown that this leads to an expression for the entropy of an ideal classical gas that agrees with thermodynamics. The concept of indistinguishability is defined and extensivity is described using the notation of a homogeneous function of degree 1. Mathematically, Planck's resolution appears to solve the paradox. However, there are still some uncertainties and further clarification or assistance is needed.
Steve1019

Homework Statement

Planck famously argued that if identical particles are considered indistinguishable this would
resolve Gibbs paradox by correcting for over-counting of the states. If the number of
possible arrangements, W, of the N particles of an ideal gas at volume, V, and temperatureT
with constant volume, heat capacity, C, is written as

W = T^(C/k) * V^N
Then:

(a) Show, using Boltzmann's principle (S = k.lnW), that this leads to an expression for the entropy of an ideal classical gas that agrees with thermodynamics.

(b) define what is meant by indistinguishable in the context of plank's solutionand using the notaion of a homogeneous function of degree 1, describe what is meant by extensivity. Show mathematically why Plank's resolution appears to solve the paradox.

The Attempt at a Solution

Now for A it is clear that I should substitute W into the Bolzmann's principle. That is fine. But the resulting expression isn't like anything I have seen. All the entropy equations I have seen are more to do with heat exchange. I'm not entirely sure what I should be doing. Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
This one definitely belongs in the Advance section!

Related to Entropy and thermodynamics question

1. What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the amount of disorder or randomness in a system. It is a fundamental concept in thermodynamics and is often associated with the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of a closed system will never decrease over time.

2. How is entropy related to thermodynamics?

Entropy is closely related to the laws of thermodynamics, which describe the behavior of energy in a system. The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time, meaning that energy will always tend towards a state of greater disorder or randomness.

3. Can entropy be reversed?

In most cases, entropy cannot be reversed. According to the second law of thermodynamics, the overall entropy of a system will increase over time, meaning that the system will move towards a state of greater disorder. However, in rare cases, some processes can decrease entropy, but this is always accompanied by an increase in entropy elsewhere.

4. How is entropy measured?

Entropy is typically measured in units of joules per kelvin (J/K). This unit is a measure of the amount of energy required to increase the temperature of a substance by 1 Kelvin. The higher the entropy of a substance, the more energy it takes to increase its temperature.

5. What are some real-world examples of entropy?

Entropy can be observed in various natural processes, such as the melting of ice or the rusting of metal. In both cases, the organized structure of the molecules is breaking down, resulting in a higher level of disorder and therefore, an increase in entropy. Entropy can also be seen in human-made systems, such as the degradation of machinery over time or the gradual decline of a building's structural integrity.

Back