Entropy of Objects and the Universe

In summary, the bag of mass 2000 kg at 531 K absorbs 3.17 x 10^8 J of heat at a constant temperature of 65 degrees Celsius. Using the formula for entropy, the change in entropy for the bag is 596986.8173 J/K. However, the assumption that the heat flows from the table to the bag is incorrect, as it goes against the second law of thermodynamics. Therefore, there is not enough information to determine the change in entropy for the universe.
frozonecom

Homework Statement

A bag of mass 2000 kg at 531 K is on the table at a constant temperature of 65 degrees Celsius. The bag absorbs 3.17 x 10^8 J of heat. What is the change in entropy of the bag, the table and the universe?

Homework Equations

The formula for entropy, which is [itex]\Delta Entropy = \frac{Q}{T}[/itex]
and the formula for Entropy of the universe which is [itex]\Delta Entropy_{universe} = \Delta Entropy_{1} + \Delta Entropy_{2} ... [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the entropy of the bag will be :
[itex]\Delta Entropy_{bag} = \frac{3.17 x 10^8 J}{531 K}[/itex]
[itex]\Delta Entropy_{bag} = 596986.8173 \frac{J}{K}[/itex]

Then the entropy of the table would be :
[itex]\Delta Entropy_{table} = \frac{-3.17 x 10^8 J}{338 K}[/itex]
[itex]\Delta Entropy_{table} = -937453.7927 \frac{J}{K}[/itex]

From this, the entropy of the universe would be :
[itex]\Delta Entropy_{universe} = 596986.8173 \frac{J}{K} + -937453.7927 \frac{J}{K}[/itex]
[itex]\Delta Entropy_{universe} = -340466.9754 \frac{J}{K}[/itex]

Oh, and I put negative for Heat in the table because I assumed that it is where the bag absorbed the heat from.
But, I know that Entropy of the universe can't be negative, since CHANGE IN ENTROPY CANNOT DECREASE, it can only be maintained, or increased. Right?? So, Change in Entropy of the universe can only be ZERO or any POSITIVE NUMBER...

So from this point, I know I'm doing something wrong. Please help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your entropy calculation is correct if you assume that the heat flows from the table to the bag.

The problem is with your assumption. The second law says that heat cannot spontaneously flow a colder to a hotter body: ie from the table (T = 338K) to the bag (T=531K).

I am not sure where the heat comes from or how the table is kept at 65 C. But one thing is certain, the heat flow into the bag did not come from the table.

AM

It says here in my book that "There can be no process whose only final result is to transfer thermal energy from cooler object to a hotter one". --- which agrees with what you said that heat cannot sponataneously flow from cooler to hotter body.

I guess I was tricked by the homework question. :)

So, the process cannot occur, and therefore, there will be no change in entropy??

Last edited:
frozonecom said:
It says here in my book that "There can be no process whose only final result is to transfer thermal energy from cooler object to a hotter one". --- which agrees with what you said that heat cannot sponataneously flow from cooler to hotter body.

I guess I was tricked by the homework question. :)

So, the process cannot occur, and therefore, there will be no change in entropy??
No. The process cannot occur spontaneously - that is, without supplying work - if the heat flow into the bag comes from a colder body such as the table.

Since there is no indication where the heat flow into the bag comes from - and since it cannot come from the table - the correct answer would be that you do not have sufficient information to answer the question. You can determine the ΔS for the table (assuming it remains at 65C) and for the bag. But you cannot determine the ΔS of the rest of the universe.

AM

Thanks for the help! :)

FAQ: Entropy of Objects and the Universe

What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It can also be thought of as the amount of energy that is no longer available to do useful work.

How does entropy relate to objects and the universe?

In objects, entropy can refer to the disorder or randomness of the molecules within the object. In the universe, entropy is constantly increasing as energy is dispersed and systems become more disordered over time.

What is the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system (such as the universe) will always increase over time.

Can entropy ever decrease?

In a closed system, the overall entropy will continue to increase. However, it is possible for the entropy of a specific part of the system to decrease, as long as there is an overall increase in the system.

How does entropy affect the future of the universe?

As entropy increases, the universe will continue to become more disordered and eventually reach a state of maximum entropy, known as the heat death of the universe. This will result in the end of all life and energy in the universe.

Back