Entropy of translation and rotation of a molecules

In summary, the conversation is about a question from a course book regarding the calculation of entropy per molecule. The equation S=k_B ln W is used, where W is the product of translational and rotational motions for each molecule. The volume allowed for translational motion is calculated as V-NA(theta), and since molecules are distinguishable, it is divided by (N!)^(1/N) for each molecule. The entropy per molecule is then calculated as k_B ln[(V-NA(theta))/√(N!) * Ω(theta)]. However, the answer in the book includes a factor of 2 and there is confusion about the usage of Ω and A.
LmdL

Homework Statement

Hi all,
There is a question from the course book:
abyysfQ.png

X1kSDKo.png

Homework Equations

[tex]S=k_B ln W[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My solution:
So first of all, for each molecule, there are 2 motions: translational and rotational.
For rotational I get:
[tex]W_1 =\Omega \left ( \theta \right )[/tex]
For translational, I should calculate the free (non forbidden volume) for molecule to move in. Since the overall volume is V and there are N molecules, the volume allowed for moving is:
[tex]W_2 =V-NA \left ( \theta \right )[/tex]
Since molecules are distinguishable, I need to divide by (N!)^(1/N) for each molecule, so:
[tex]W_2 =\frac{V-NA \left ( \theta \right )}{\sqrt[N]{N!}}[/tex]
Therefore, the entropy per molecule is:
[tex]s= k_B ln \left ( \frac{V-NA \left ( \theta \right )}{\sqrt[N]{N!}}\Omega \left ( \theta \right ) \right )[/tex]
And since there are N molecules:
[tex]S= k_B N ln \left ( \frac{V-NA \left ( \theta \right )}{\sqrt[N]{N!}}\Omega \left ( \theta \right ) \right )=k_B ln \left (\frac{1}{N!} \left ( V-NA \left ( \theta \right ) \right )^N \left ( \Omega \left ( \theta \right ) \right )^N \right )[/tex]

But according the book, the answer is:
4XSXUoh.png

So I have 2 questions:
1. Do they mixed up between Omega and A? Or it's me?
2. Where do a factor of 2 came from in the expression for the volume?

Thanks!

Already submitted my version of the HW, so it's not relevant.

Related to Entropy of translation and rotation of a molecules

1. What is the definition of entropy in relation to the translation and rotation of molecules?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. In the context of molecules, it refers to the amount of energy that is unavailable for work due to the translational and rotational motion of the molecules.

2. How does the entropy of translation and rotation affect the physical properties of a substance?

The entropy of translation and rotation is directly related to the disorder of a substance. As the entropy increases, the molecules become more disordered, which can lead to changes in physical properties such as melting point, boiling point, and viscosity.

3. What factors influence the entropy of translation and rotation in a molecule?

The entropy of translation and rotation is influenced by the size, shape, and complexity of the molecule. Larger and more complex molecules tend to have higher entropy due to the increased number of possible configurations they can adopt.

4. How is the entropy of translation and rotation related to thermodynamics?

The entropy of translation and rotation is a crucial factor in thermodynamics, as it is one of the variables used to calculate the change in entropy of a system. It is also related to the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time.

5. Can the entropy of translation and rotation be measured experimentally?

Yes, the entropy of translation and rotation can be measured experimentally using techniques such as calorimetry and spectroscopy. These methods can provide information about the energy levels and transitions of the molecules, which can then be used to calculate the entropy of their translational and rotational motion.