Entropy question in classical physics

In summary, the conversation discusses Boltzmann's equation, which is used to calculate the number of different distinguishable microscopic states in a system. The question raised is about the infinite number of microstates that could potentially exist if the position and velocity of a particle are used to describe them. The response explains that this type of reasoning is an abbreviation for arguments involving limits, and provides a more general formula for entropy.
Glenn G
Hi I've been wondering about Boltzmann's equation
S = k ln W
Where W is the number of different distinguishable microscopic states of a system.
What I don't get is that if it's the position and velocity of a particle that describes a microstate doesn't it mean that W would be infinite classically since every infinitesimally small change in say a particles position represents a different microstate. Am I missing something?
Cheers,
Glenn.

Science news on Phys.org
Glenn G said:
What I don't get is that if it's the position and velocity of a particle that describes a microstate doesn't it mean that W would be infinite classically since every infinitesimally small change in say a particles position represents a different microstate. Am I missing something?

You are correct in the sense that the style of reasoning using "microstates" in classical thermodynamics is similar to the way that "dx" is used in the intuitive presentation of integration. We imagine dividing up a interval into tiny sub-intervals of length dx. This type of intuitive thinking is an abbreviation for arguments whose precise statement would involve taking limits.

The most general definition of entropy when we have divided state space up into a finite number of microstates (each of which had finite volume instead of being a single point) is ##S = -k \sum_i { p_i \ln(p_i) } ## The formula ##S = k \ln W ## would be the special case where the system has the same probability ##p_i = p## of being in each of the microstates.

Likes Glenn G

Related to Entropy question in classical physics

1. What is entropy in classical physics?

Entropy in classical physics is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It is a thermodynamic quantity that describes the amount of energy that is no longer available for work in a system.

2. How is entropy related to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases. This means that as energy is transferred or transformed in a system, the amount of entropy will also increase. In other words, the second law of thermodynamics explains the direction of energy flow and the tendency towards disorder in a system.

3. Can entropy be reversed or decreased?

In classical physics, entropy cannot be reversed or decreased. This is due to the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases. However, it is possible to decrease entropy in a local area by increasing it in another area, as long as the total entropy of the system increases.

4. How is entropy calculated in classical physics?

In classical physics, entropy is calculated using the equation S = k ln W, where S is the entropy, k is the Boltzmann constant, and W is the number of microstates (or possible arrangements) of a system. This equation relates entropy to the probability of a system being in a particular state.

5. What are some real-world examples of entropy?

Some real-world examples of entropy in classical physics include the rusting of metal, the mixing of hot and cold water, and the expansion of a gas into a vacuum. In all of these examples, energy is being transferred or transformed, and entropy is increasing as a result.