Entropy reversal in an infinite static universe?

Suekdccia
TL;DR Summary
Entropy reversal in an infinite static universe?
As far as I know, entropy could be reversed by the Poincaré recurrence theorem if it had a finite horizon given by some amount of vacuum energy causing an accelerating expansion.

However, I found this lecture by Leonard Susskind () where he tells a way through which the vacuum could decay into a vacuum state with no energy and therefore no expansion would occur. In this case, we would have a static universe. However, he says that in this case no recurrence would take place.

But, in this answer to one similar question on another physics-discussion site (Could any new structures be formed after the heat death of the universe?), it says that in a static universe with no accelerated expansion (and therefore no cosmological constant) the Poincarré recurrence theorem would hold. And also, I understand that in a non-accelerating expanding universe there would be no maximal entropy reached so the recurrence should occur.

So, what am I missing here?

Space news on Phys.org
For the Poincare recurrence to exist, the essential requirement is that the phase space of all possible initial conditions has a finite volume. (In the quantum version, it translates to the finite dimension of the Hilbert space.) If there is a cosmological constant, then the universe has the horizon which makes it effectively finite, so the Poincare recurrence seems plausible. If there is no cosmological constant, and hence no horizon, the Poincare recurrence requires some other mechanism by which the universe has a finite volume. A reasonable possibility is that the universe is closed, i.e. that its spatial topology is a 3-dimensional sphere. I didn't watch the video, but I suspect that Susskind had such a closed universe in mind.

Likes PeterDonis

Related to Entropy reversal in an infinite static universe?

What is entropy reversal in the context of an infinite static universe?

Entropy reversal refers to the hypothetical scenario where the second law of thermodynamics, which states that entropy or disorder in a closed system always increases, is violated. In an infinite static universe, this concept explores whether it is possible for entropy to decrease over time, leading to a more ordered state, contrary to conventional thermodynamic principles.

Is entropy reversal theoretically possible in an infinite static universe?

Theoretically, entropy reversal is highly contentious and generally considered impossible under classical thermodynamics. However, some speculative theories in cosmology and quantum mechanics suggest that under certain conditions, such as in an infinite static universe, regions of decreasing entropy might be conceivable, though these ideas remain speculative and lack empirical support.

What implications would entropy reversal have on the second law of thermodynamics?

If entropy reversal were possible, it would fundamentally challenge the second law of thermodynamics, which is one of the cornerstone principles of physics. This law asserts that the total entropy of a closed system can never decrease over time. Entropy reversal would imply that under certain conditions, this law could be violated, necessitating a major revision of our understanding of thermodynamic processes.

How does the concept of an infinite static universe relate to entropy?

An infinite static universe is a theoretical construct where the universe extends infinitely in all directions and does not change over time. In such a universe, the traditional understanding of entropy might not apply uniformly because the system is not closed or finite. This opens up discussions about whether localized decreases in entropy could occur without violating the overall trend of increasing entropy in the universe.

Are there any experimental or observational evidences supporting entropy reversal?

As of now, there is no experimental or observational evidence supporting the concept of entropy reversal. The second law of thermodynamics has been consistently validated through countless experiments and observations. Entropy reversal remains a speculative idea mostly explored in theoretical physics and cosmology, without empirical backing.