Enviro Chem.- simple ideal gas law calculation.

In summary, ozone has a maximum concentration of 4.7 x 10^12 molecules/cm^3 at an altitude of 20 km. The total pressure at this altitude is 100 torr. Using the ideal gas law, the mole fraction of O3 at that altitude is 1.08 x 10^-6. Now express the mole fraction in ppb.
luna02525

Homework Statement

1. Ozone has a maximum concentration of 4.7 x 1012 molecules/ cm3 at an altitude of 20 km. The total pressure at this altitude is 100 torr. Using the ideal gas law, what is the mole fraction of O3 at that altitude? Now express the mole fraction in ppb.

Homework Equations

PV=nRT (ideal gas law)

X/(X_a + X_b...) mole fraction

temperature @ 20 km = -50 Celsius = 223 K

100 torr = .132 atm

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have taken concentration of ozone and put it into mol/L.

4.7 x 10^12 molecules/cm^3 = 7.81 x 10^-9 mol/L

I'm not sure how to find a mole fraction without additional information. All the info for ideal gas law is also all there so I'm confused. I forgot how to take mol/L into just moles I guess. I've looked online for more information and reading up on the general chemistry but am unable to find any information related to this problem. Also notable is the fact that I do not have a general chemistry textbook (my brother sold it for money) which would ideally give me a refresher in PV= nRT and finding the solution to this problem.

So, any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Now, take the concentration of ozone and convert it into a pressure using the gas law. Compare that pressure with the total pressure at that altitude. What would such a comparison represent?

chemisttree said:
Now, take the concentration of ozone and convert it into a pressure using the gas law. Compare that pressure with the total pressure at that altitude. What would such a comparison represent?

ok so I took the concentration of ozone and plugged it into

PV=nRT V= 1 L

P(1 L) = (7.81 x 10^-9 mol)(.082 Latm/kmol)(223 K)
P = 1.43 x 10^-7 atm

so, now I know the pressure of ozone at 20 km

in order to find the mole fraction I would place the pressure of ozone at 20 km over the total air pressure at 20 km?

so,

(1.43 x 10^-7 atm)/(.132 atm) = 1.08 x 10^-6 ozone per total air

1) Is this correct?
2) To find ppb now I just multiply the ozone mole fraction by 1/(10^-9)?

That's how I would do it.

Thanks a lot for your help! :smile:

Alternatively, you could leave the ozone concentration in terms of moles/L and then, using the gas law, calculate the concentration of gas using the gas law. That ratio would give you the ozone concentration as well.

You might want to calculate it both ways to convince yourself of your answer.

Related to Enviro Chem.- simple ideal gas law calculation.

What is the simple ideal gas law and how is it used in environmental chemistry?

The simple ideal gas law is a fundamental equation in chemistry that describes the relationship between temperature, pressure, volume, and the number of moles of a gas. It is commonly used in environmental chemistry to calculate changes in gas behavior under different conditions, such as changes in temperature or pressure.

What are the components of the simple ideal gas law equation?

The simple ideal gas law equation is PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature. These components can be rearranged to solve for any unknown variable in the equation.

How is the simple ideal gas law applied to real-world environmental problems?

The simple ideal gas law can be used to study and predict the behavior of gases in a variety of environmental scenarios, such as air pollution, atmospheric chemistry, and climate change. It can also be used to calculate the emissions of gases from industrial processes and their impact on the environment.

What are some limitations of the simple ideal gas law?

The simple ideal gas law assumes that gases behave as ideal gases, meaning they have no volume and do not interact with each other. This is not always the case in real-world situations, especially at high pressures and low temperatures. Additionally, the simple ideal gas law does not take into account the effects of intermolecular forces or the presence of non-ideal behavior in gases.

How can the simple ideal gas law be modified for non-ideal gases?

In order to take into account the non-ideal behavior of gases, scientists have developed modified versions of the simple ideal gas law, such as the van der Waals equation. These equations incorporate correction factors for intermolecular forces and non-ideal behavior to provide more accurate predictions of gas behavior in real-world scenarios.