EOM for a complex scalar field

In summary, the equations of motion for the Lagrangian given are incorrect due to a sign error in one of the terms on the left. The fields are not independent and are interacting with one another.
Milsomonk

Homework Statement

Find the equations of motion for the Lagrangian below:

$$ L=\partial_\mu \phi^* \partial^\mu \phi - V( \phi,\phi^* ) $$
Where :
$$ V( \phi,\phi^* )= m^2 \phi^* \phi + \lambda (\phi^* \phi)^2 $$

Homework Equations

Euler Lagrange equation:

$$ \partial_\mu \dfrac {\partial L} {\partial (\partial_\mu \phi)} -\dfrac {\partial L} {\partial \phi} =0 $$

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have calculated the equations of motion for each field but I'm surprised to find they're not independant of each other so I'm wondering if I've made a mistake somewhere? Here are my workings:

$$ \dfrac {\partial L} {\partial \phi} =m^2 \phi^* +2\lambda (\phi^*)^2 \phi $$
$$\dfrac {\partial L} {\partial (\partial_\mu \phi)} = \partial_\mu \phi^* $$
So then the equations of motion are:
$$\Box \phi^* -m^2 \phi^* +2\lambda (\phi^*)^2 \phi =0$$
$$\Box \phi -m^2 \phi +2\lambda (\phi)^2 \phi^* =0$$

Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Milsomonk said:
So then the equations of motion are:
$$\Box \phi^* -m^2 \phi^* +2\lambda (\phi^*)^2 \phi =0$$
$$\Box \phi -m^2 \phi +2\lambda (\phi)^2 \phi^* =0$$
Looks like a sign error in one of the terms on the left. Otherwise, I think it's OK.

You are right that the fields are not independent. They are interacting with one another.

Ahh yeah I see the issue, thanks :) Yeah I just thought it was odd as one of the tutorial helpers said they were independent... but they were clearly incorrect. Thanks for your insight :)

Related to EOM for a complex scalar field

1. What is the EOM for a complex scalar field?

The EOM (equation of motion) for a complex scalar field is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior and evolution of a field over time. It is derived from the Lagrangian density of the field, which takes into account the kinetic and potential energy of the field.

2. How is the EOM for a complex scalar field different from that of a real scalar field?

The EOM for a complex scalar field is more complex than that of a real scalar field because it involves both a real and an imaginary component. This means that the equation must be solved for both the real and imaginary parts separately, making the calculations more involved.

3. What are some applications of the EOM for a complex scalar field?

The EOM for a complex scalar field is used in a variety of fields, including quantum field theory, particle physics, and condensed matter physics. It is also used in cosmology to study the behavior of the early universe and in astrophysics to understand the behavior of stars and galaxies.

4. How is the EOM for a complex scalar field related to conservation laws?

The EOM for a complex scalar field is derived from the principle of least action, which states that the path taken by a system between two points in time is the one that minimizes the action. This leads to the conservation of energy, momentum, and other physical quantities, which are described by the EOM.

5. Can the EOM for a complex scalar field be solved analytically?

In most cases, the EOM for a complex scalar field cannot be solved analytically and requires numerical methods to find a solution. However, in some simplified cases, such as a free field with no interactions, an analytical solution can be found. Additionally, perturbation theory can be used to approximate solutions to the EOM in more complex cases.