EPROM Programmer: Programming TMS2532 Chips w/ 25v

• Thread starter imsmooth
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about programming TMS2532 chips that require 25v. The GQ-4x4 programmer is not able to provide the necessary voltage and the speaker is looking for recommendations for a USB-type programmer. The EMP-20 is mentioned but the speaker is not happy with its use of a parallel port. The device must also be exposed to UV light before programming. The TL866-3G-T48 programmer is suggested as it can provide 25v and is able to program various devices. The speaker mentions using an arc lamp and a #2 pencil for quick erasing. They also mention successfully programming chips before and using a UV eraser. The issue with the 2532 chips is intermittent and the
imsmooth
I want to program some TMS2532 chips that need 25v in order to program. The GQ-4x4 does not seem to be doing it. Any suggestions for a USB-type programmer for this task? I've seen the EMP-20, but it uses a parallel port that I am not thrilled about.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Before this device is programmed, it must be exposed to a high-intensity uv light (2537 Angstroms).
Are you doing that?
If not, from personal experience I have discovered that an arc lamp improvised from a 40VDC supply and a #2 pencil will make quick work of it.
Most device programmers (such as your GQ-4x4) are able to scan the target device and report whether it is fully erased.

Yes
I’ve successfully programmed chips many times and I have a UV eraser.

My success with the 2532 is intermittent and when I put in oscilloscope on the pins I can see my programmer is not hitting the 25 V needed.

I haven't used that kind of programmer for a while. Even if I recalled model numbers, they likely wouldn't be available anymore.
Do you do "Blank" checks before programming?

Yes. Again, I am just asking if anyone knows of a good programmer that hits 25v reliably because the one I have doesn't.

Related to EPROM Programmer: Programming TMS2532 Chips w/ 25v

What is an EPROM programmer and why is it used for programming TMS2532 chips?

An EPROM programmer is a device used to write data to an Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory (EPROM) chip. It is specifically used for TMS2532 chips to store firmware or software that can be erased and reprogrammed multiple times.

Why is a 25V programming voltage required for TMS2532 chips?

The TMS2532 EPROM chip requires a high voltage of 25V for programming because this voltage is necessary to alter the state of the floating gate transistors within the chip. This voltage ensures that the data can be written accurately and reliably.

How do I ensure that my EPROM programmer is compatible with TMS2532 chips?

To ensure compatibility, check the specifications of your EPROM programmer to see if it supports the TMS2532 chip. Additionally, verify that the programmer can provide the required 25V programming voltage and that it has the correct socket type for the TMS2532 chip.

What steps should I follow to program a TMS2532 chip using an EPROM programmer?

First, ensure your EPROM programmer is connected and powered on. Insert the TMS2532 chip into the appropriate socket. Load the data file you wish to program into the programmer’s software. Set the programming voltage to 25V and initiate the programming process. Verify the data after programming to ensure accuracy.

What precautions should I take when programming TMS2532 chips?

Ensure that you handle the TMS2532 chip with care to avoid static damage. Verify that the EPROM programmer is correctly set to 25V to prevent under or over-voltage damage. Double-check the data file before programming to ensure it is correct. Always follow the manufacturer’s guidelines for both the EPROM programmer and the TMS2532 chip.