Epsilon-Delta Proof for Continuity of f + 2g at x = a

In summary, the Triangle Inequality Q is a mathematical concept that states that the sum of any two sides of a triangle must be greater than the third side. It is important for determining if a set of line segments can form a triangle and has applications in other areas of mathematics. The formula for the Triangle Inequality Q is |a + b| < c, and it is related to the Pythagorean Theorem. If the Triangle Inequality Q is not satisfied, the three line segments cannot form a triangle.
rudders93

Homework Statement

Part of an [itex]\epsilon-\delta[/itex] proof about whether or not f + 2g is continuous at x = a provided that f and g are continuous at x = a

The Attempt at a Solution

I've got the proof (I hope), but I'm uncertain about whether I can do the following:

[itex]|f(x)+2g(x)-(f(a)+2g(a))| = |f(x)-f(a)+2g(x)-2g(a)| \leq |f(x)-f(a)| + 2|g(x)-g(a)|[/itex] using the triangle inequality.

Is that valid?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure. Why not?

Related to Epsilon-Delta Proof for Continuity of f + 2g at x = a

What is the Triangle Inequality Q?

The Triangle Inequality Q is a mathematical concept that states that the sum of any two sides of a triangle must be greater than the third side.

Why is the Triangle Inequality Q important?

The Triangle Inequality Q is important because it helps determine whether a set of three given line segments can form a triangle. It also has applications in other areas of mathematics, such as in proving geometric theorems.

What is the formula for the Triangle Inequality Q?

The formula for the Triangle Inequality Q is |a + b| < c, where a and b are the lengths of two sides of a triangle, and c is the length of the third side.

How is the Triangle Inequality Q related to the Pythagorean Theorem?

The Triangle Inequality Q is related to the Pythagorean Theorem because it is one of the conditions that must be met for the theorem to hold true. In other words, the Triangle Inequality Q ensures that a triangle can be formed and that the Pythagorean Theorem can be applied.

What happens if the Triangle Inequality Q is not satisfied?

If the Triangle Inequality Q is not satisfied, then the three line segments cannot form a triangle. This means that the sum of the two shorter sides is not greater than the longest side, and the shape formed is not a closed figure.