Eq. for displacement of current-carrying wire due to magnet

In summary, the conversation involves deriving the equation d=(L/mg)F for a physics lab involving a flowing current, a wire, and a magnetic field. This equation is derived using a free-body diagram and the equations F = 2*F_W *sin(theta) and theta = d/L/2 = 2d/L. However, there is an error in the equations and the 4 should not be present.
WK95

1. Homework Statement

a3vab1i.png

This is for a physics lab I am working on. A flowing current causes the wire to deflect towards the right a certain amount that varies depending on the current strength.

I need to derive the equation d=(L/mg)F
where
-- L is the distance between contact 1 and 2 both of which lie in the same vertical line.
-- mg is the weight attached at the end of the wire.
-- F is the strength of the magnetic field.
-- d is the horizontal displacement of the wire at the magnet

The magnets are located in the center of the setup and the vertical distance from contact 1 to the magnet can be approximated to be L/2

For the full lab, see http://skipper.physics.sunysb.edu/~physlab/phy134Lab5Magnetic_Force_v4.pdf

Homework Equations

Derive: d = (L/mg)F
F = 2*F_W *sin(theta)
theta = d/L/2 = 2d/L
See below for the derivations of the second two equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

MOMDYs7.png

Here is a free-body diagram of the wire at the point where a magnetic field moves it to the right. Equation (1) is for theta, the angle that F_W makes with the vertical.
fTqxDOs.png

I got the equation for theta as follows. Tan(theta) = Opposite/Adjacent. Taking theta to be the angle of the wire to the horizontal, opposite is equation to d and adjacent is taken to be L/2 so this will be the triangle formed by the top half of the wire and the magnet. Thus tan(theta)=d/L/2=2d/L

So I've gotten close but the 4 shouldn't be there. I know I have an error somewhere and likely, the 2s of the equations before should have canceled each other once I combined them.

Attachments

• Lab 5 setup.PNG
    Lab 5 setup.PNG
    27.6 KB · Views: 580
Physics news on Phys.org
I also got the same eqn as yours. Check the questiin again

Bump.

Related to Eq. for displacement of current-carrying wire due to magnet

1. What is the equation for displacement of a current-carrying wire due to a magnet?

The equation for displacement of a current-carrying wire due to a magnet is F = I * L * B * sin(θ), where F is the force, I is the current, L is the length of the wire, B is the magnetic field strength, and θ is the angle between the wire and the magnetic field.

2. How do I calculate the displacement of a current-carrying wire due to a magnet?

To calculate the displacement, use the equation F = I * L * B * sin(θ) and plug in the values for the current, length of the wire, and magnetic field strength. Make sure to also include the angle between the wire and the magnetic field in radians.

3. What is the direction of the displacement of a current-carrying wire due to a magnet?

The direction of the displacement is perpendicular to both the current-carrying wire and the magnetic field. It follows the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the current, the fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field, and the palm indicates the direction of the displacement.

4. How does the displacement of a current-carrying wire change with different values of current and magnetic field?

The displacement of a current-carrying wire is directly proportional to the current, length of the wire, and magnetic field strength. As any of these values increase, the displacement will also increase. However, the angle between the wire and the magnetic field can affect the magnitude of the displacement.

5. What are some real-life applications of the equation for displacement of a current-carrying wire due to a magnet?

This equation is commonly used in the design of electric motors, generators, and other devices that utilize a magnetic field to produce motion. It is also relevant in fields such as electromagnetics and electrical engineering, as well as in everyday applications like magnetic levitation trains and speakers.