Equality of Gravitational and Electrostatic force

PhysicsEnjoyer31415
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
So i was experimenting around with formulae and i thought to myself "could a planet rip a electron off a single electron system?" So i used this formula and i want to know if this is correct? . I know that gravity is magnitudes weaker than electrostatic force but if it were forced anyway would this be correct?
20240520_112417.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I feel two points
1 How we can arrange the experiment so that only electrons no ion cores are under influence of gravity ? Free fall of atoms is the most familiar situation. I do not know how we can fix the position of the cores with no influence to electrons.
2 If we can fix the cores, forgetting about EM force, I wonder which is bigger gravity from the Earth or gravity from the ion core to the electrons ?

Likes Ibix
For a hydrogen atom with a radius of 37 picometers, placed near the surface of the Earth, I get the following results for the forces on the electron:

Tidal Force: 1.185x10-16 newtons
Electrostatic Force: 1.68x10-7 newtons

Even if my electrostatic force is an order of magnitude off due to being a classical calculation and not a quantum one, we're looking at a difference in force in the realm of nine orders of magnitude. A planet is absolutely not ripping an electron off of an atom unless the electron is only bound to the atom in the loosest possible sense of the word 'bound'.

Likes Vanadium 50, anuttarasammyak and PhysicsEnjoyer31415
Drakkith said:
Tidal Force:
It's worth noting that the tidal force calculation addresses @anuttarasammyak's objection about the nucleus apparently being unaffected by gravity in the OP's calculation. This tidal force approach is the correct way to go about this, not the OP's calculation.
anuttarasammyak said:
I wonder which is bigger gravity from the Earth or gravity from the ion core to the electrons ?
Earth. Atomic masses are of order ##10^{-27}\mathrm{kg}##, electrons about three orders of magnitude lower, and atomic radii ##10^{-10}\mathrm{m}##. That gives you a gravitational force around ##10^{-48}\mathrm{N}##. Assuming Newtonian gravity is remotely valid for atoms.

Likes anuttarasammyak and PhysicsEnjoyer31415
Drakkith said:
For a hydrogen atom with a radius of 37 picometers, placed near the surface of the Earth, I get the following results for the forces on the electron:

Tidal Force: 1.185x10-16 newtons
Electrostatic Force: 1.68x10-7 newtons

Even if my electrostatic force is an order of magnitude off due to being a classical calculation and not a quantum one, we're looking at a difference in force in the realm of nine orders of magnitude. A planet is absolutely not ripping an electron off of an atom unless the electron is only bound to the atom in the loosest possible sense of the word 'bound'.
I think you are right and this is only a theoretical possibility , i thought it could become true only if we have mass in 50s of magnitude , neglect gravitational force of proton ,and have radius not more than magnitudes of 6 or 7. Also i was using the bohrs model where radius of hydrogen atom wpuld be 0.529 angstrong

PhysicsEnjoyer31415 said:
I think you are right and this is only a theoretical possibility , i thought it could become true only if we have mass in 50s of magnitude , neglect gravitational force of proton ,and have radius not more than magnitudes of 6 or 7. Also i was using the bohrs model where radius of hydrogen atom wpuld be 0.529 angstrong
In order to get large tidal force, putting an atom very closed to a tiny densed mass instead of planet would be interesting.

anuttarasammyak said:
In order to get large tidal force, putting an atom very closed to a tiny densed mass instead of planet would be interesting.
Would definitely love to see that

anuttarasammyak said:
I think it still might not be enough to pull a electron even if we hold down the proton somehow. That would require a huge density which i am not sure is possible or not , maybe a neutron star or something but it would surely be interesting

I think you are right and this is only a theoretical possibility.
Actually, he demonstrated that it's a theoretical impossibility.

Likes Vanadium 50 and PhysicsEnjoyer31415
I think it still might not be enough to pull a electron even if we hold down the proton somehow. That would require a huge density which i am not sure is possible or not , maybe a neutron star or something but it would surely be interesting
There's a little thing called Quantum Mechanics that may be relevant here. You don't get far with a Newtonian model of the atom.

PeroK said:
There's a little thing called Quantum Mechanics that may be relevant here. You don't get far with a Newtonian model of the atom.
Yes