Equate Kinetic Friction to Rotational Energy?

In summary, a car owner wants to change his current tires and rims to a wider set of tires and rims for increased handling ability, but is concerned about the increased rolling resistance the wider tyres will cause. To combat this, the owner wants to know how much weight loss is necessary to overcome the increased frictional forces and maintain his current acceleration abilities.
Gear Head

Homework Statement

So a car owner wants to change his current tires and rims to a wider set of tires and rims for increased handling ability. However, the owner does not want to lose any acceleration performance due to the increased friction of having wider tires. To combat this, the owner wants to know how much weight loss is necessary to overcome the increased frictional forces and maintain his current acceleration abilities. Assume a uniform weight distribution for the wheels.

All variables are held constant except:
New wheel width
New wheel weight

Given:
Coefficient of friction is 0.7
Stock wheel width is 6in. or 15.24cm
Stock wheel mass is 20lbs

Create an equation that compares wheel friction at a given width to wheel weight.

Homework Equations

I think I should use:
Kinetic energy = 1/2 Mv^2 where M is mass and v is velocity
Frictional force = coeff. of friction * F(n) where F(n) is the normal force.
Normal force = mass * gravity

The Attempt at a Solution

I[/B] am having a tough time with this one. I assume that if I can set the friction equation equal to the rotational equation, then I can use that same formula for the new wheel and the old wheel and can compare the forces easily. I just can't figure out how to set the equation up.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure whether this question is deliberately misleading or just wrong-headed.
Some questions to consider:
- what would the performance be if you were to eliminate tyre to road friction completely?
- In the equation you quote for frictional force, what role does area of contact play?
- Is road grip merely down to friction?
- what slows cars down?

Edit: I should break the last item into two parts:

- what reduces a vehicle's top speed?
- what reduces a vehicle's acceleration?
(and which of those is relevant for 'performance'?)

Last edited:
Gear Head said:
Create an equation that compares wheel friction at a given width to wheel weight.

Is that the statement of the problem?

Or does the problem say you must calculate something to "maintain his current acceleration abilities"?

The problem statement doesn't make a lot of sense to me at all.

the owner does not want to lose any acceleration performance due to the increased friction of having wider tires.

Increasing friction between the tyre and ground usually improves acceleration - so presumably he is worried about increased rolling resistance?

Oh I think I see. The problem assumes that the wheels must slip in order that the engine achieve optimum power output. Therefore increasing friction must be compensated for by reducing the moment of inertia of the wheels so they spin up just as fast. Gosh the problem statement assumes you know a lot about drag racing.

Gear Head said:
wider set of tires and rims for increased handling
Okay ----
Gear Head said:
does not want to lose any acceleration performance due to the increased friction of having wider tires.
If he's accelerating through any turn sharp enough to notice friction from the steered/steering action, there's more going on than is easily calculated.
Gear Head said:
Since there's no turn radius specified, take a straight line drive, and there's no difference other than from toe-in and camber which are also not specified.

Related to Equate Kinetic Friction to Rotational Energy?

1. How is kinetic friction related to rotational energy?

Kinetic friction, also known as sliding friction, refers to the force that opposes the motion of an object as it slides or rolls over a surface. This force is responsible for converting the kinetic energy of the object into heat. In the case of rotational energy, kinetic friction occurs between the object and the surface it is rotating on, causing a loss of rotational energy.

2. What is the equation for calculating kinetic friction in terms of rotational energy?

The equation for calculating kinetic friction in terms of rotational energy is: Ff = μk * N * r, where Ff is the force of kinetic friction, μk is the coefficient of kinetic friction, N is the normal force, and r is the radius of the object. This equation shows that the force of kinetic friction is directly proportional to the coefficient of friction, normal force, and radius of the object.

3. How does the coefficient of kinetic friction affect rotational energy?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a measure of the roughness of the surface between an object and the surface it is sliding or rolling on. A higher coefficient of kinetic friction means that there is more resistance to the motion of the object, resulting in a greater loss of rotational energy. On the other hand, a lower coefficient of kinetic friction means that there is less resistance, resulting in a smaller loss of rotational energy.

4. Can rotational energy be converted into kinetic friction?

No, rotational energy cannot be converted into kinetic friction. Instead, kinetic friction causes a loss of rotational energy by converting it into heat. This conversion is due to the work done by the force of kinetic friction, which is equal to the force multiplied by the distance traveled. As the object slides or rolls, the force of kinetic friction does work on the object, resulting in a decrease in its rotational energy.

5. How can the loss of rotational energy due to kinetic friction be minimized?

The amount of kinetic friction and, therefore, the loss of rotational energy can be minimized by reducing the coefficient of kinetic friction. This can be achieved by using smoother surfaces or lubricants that reduce the roughness between the object and the surface it is rotating on. Additionally, reducing the normal force, or the weight of the object, can also decrease the force of kinetic friction and the resulting loss of rotational energy.