Equation Equality: Demonstrating the Sameness of Two Equations

• Thread starter forcefield
  • Start date
In summary: As long as you assume (1) is a valid equation then the two are equivalent. But, technically, you need ##z \ne 0## etc. in (1) to guarantee that it is a valid equation.
forcefield

Homework Statement

Demonstrate that two equations are same.

Homework Equations

$$\frac {1} {x+z} + \frac {1} {y+z} = \frac {1} {z} ~~~~~~~~(1)$$
$$xy = z^2 ~~~~~~~~~(2)$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I take z in terms of x and y from (2) and replace z in (1) by that to get:
$$\frac {\sqrt{xy}} {x + \sqrt{xy}} + \frac {\sqrt{xy}} {y + \sqrt{xy}} = 1 ~~~~~~~~~(3)$$
I guess I can interpret that as a sum of probability amplitudes where the unnormalized probabilities are x and y but I don't think that qualifies as a demonstration and I don't know how to rearrange (3) to make it any simpler from that.

I guess there is some mathematical method that can be used here but what is it ?

(This is from a physics text which I hope is a good enough excuse for not having a clue.)

Physics news on Phys.org
If ##z^2 = xy## it does not follow that ##z = \sqrt{xy}##. Why not?

I would start with equation (1) here and avoid square roots.

Likes forcefield
PeroK said:
If ##z^2 = xy## it does not follow that ##z = \sqrt{xy}##. Why not?
Right, z can be negative too.
PeroK said:
I would start with equation (1) here and avoid square roots.
Don't you need to solve for x or y in (2) first then ?

forcefield said:
Right, z can be negative too.

Don't you need to solve for x or y in (2) first then ?

No, it's just a bit of algebra, actually. Easier than it looks.

Likes forcefield
PeroK said:
No, it's just a bit of algebra, actually. Easier than it looks.
Ok, I'm not sure what exactly "algebra" is, but I managed to rearrange (1) to get (2). Thanks.

forcefield said:
Ok, I'm not sure what exactly "algebra" is, but I managed to rearrange (1) to get (2). Thanks.

I think that counts as algebra!

forcefield said:

Homework Statement

Demonstrate that two equations are same.

Homework Equations

$$\frac {1} {x+z} + \frac {1} {y+z} = \frac {1} {z} ~~~~~~~~(1)$$
$$xy = z^2 ~~~~~~~~~(2)$$
The two equations are not "the same," (not equivalent, meaning that they don't have the same set of solutions for x, y, and z).
The first equation is not defined if any of the denominators happens to be zero, which means that ##x \ne -z##, and ##y \ne -z##, and ##z \ne 0##.
Some of the solutions of the second equation violate one or more of these restrictions.
Here are just a few solutions of the second equation that are not also solutions of the first equation:
x = 0, y = 0, z = 0 (violates ##z \ne 0##)
x = 0, y = 1, z = 0 (ditto)
x = 1, y = 1, z = 1 (violates ##y \ne -z## and ##x \ne -z##)

fresh_42 said:
##(2)## has more solutions than ##(1)##.
Mark44 said:
The two equations are not "the same," (not equivalent, meaning that they don't have the same set of solutions for x, y, and z).
The first equation is not defined if any of the denominators happens to be zero, which means that ##x \ne -z##, and ##y \ne -z##, and ##z \ne 0##.
Some of the solutions of the second equation violate one or more of these restrictions.
Here are just a few solutions of the second equation that are not also solutions of the first equation:
x = 0, y = 0, z = 0 (violates ##z \ne 0##)
x = 0, y = 1, z = 0 (ditto)
x = 1, y = 1, z = 1 (violates ##y \ne -z## and ##x \ne -z##)
Right, I now realize that I was wrong to think that this problem is pure math. The origin is the "thin lense formula", so one should also specify the allowed range of possible values which was not done in my physics text.

forcefield said:
Right, I now realize that I was wrong to think that this problem is pure math. The origin is the "thin lense formula", so one should also specify the allowed range of possible values which was not done in my physics text.

As long as you assume (1) is a valid equation then the two are equivalent. But, technically, you need ##z \ne 0## etc.

Related to Equation Equality: Demonstrating the Sameness of Two Equations

1. What is the meaning of "Sameness of equations" in mathematics?

The concept of "sameness of equations" refers to the idea that two or more equations can represent the same relationship or solution. This means that the equations have the same mathematical properties and can be used interchangeably.

2. How can you determine if two equations are the same?

To determine if two equations are the same, you can compare their mathematical forms, including the variables, constants, and operations used. You can also solve both equations and see if they produce the same solution. In some cases, you may need to manipulate one or both equations to make them equivalent.

3. Why is it important to recognize the sameness of equations?

Recognizing the sameness of equations is important because it allows us to simplify and generalize mathematical concepts. It also helps us to see connections between different equations and understand the underlying principles and relationships.

4. Can two equations with different forms be considered the same?

Yes, two equations can have different forms but still be considered the same if they represent the same mathematical relationship or solution. For example, the equations y = 2x and 2y = 4x are different in form but are equivalent because they both represent a linear relationship with a slope of 2.

5. How does the concept of sameness of equations apply to real-world problems?

In real-world problems, the concept of sameness of equations can help us to model and solve problems more efficiently. By recognizing that different equations can represent the same situation, we can use the most convenient or familiar form to solve the problem. It also allows us to make connections between seemingly unrelated problems and use solutions from one problem to solve another.