Equation for force from Vf, mass, and joules?

In summary, you are researching the amount of force and acceleration of a firearm's bolt assembly when a .45 caliber Federal bullet is fired. You need to convert the given numbers (mass, energy, and velocity) into a function of force and acceleration. You should research the topic of internal ballistics for further information on this subject.
ryan31394
So I'm doing some research regarding firearms and need to know the amount of force on the bolt assembly as the bullet is fired. Using a .45 caliber Federal bullet, the mass of the projectile is 15 g, the energy is 500j, and the Vf is 260 m/s. I need to know how to convert these numbers into a function of force, and, if possible, into acceleration. Essentially, I'm wanting to know the acceleration of a given mass based on the force or acceleration produced by the bullet. If any more information is needed, please let me know and I'll do my best to produce it. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
ryan31394 said:
So I'm doing some research regarding firearms and need to know the amount of force on the bolt assembly as the bullet is fired. Using a .45 caliber Federal bullet, the mass of the projectile is 15 g, the energy is 500j, and the Vf is 260 m/s. I need to know how to convert these numbers into a function of force, and, if possible, into acceleration. Essentially, I'm wanting to know the acceleration of a given mass based on the force or acceleration produced by the bullet. If any more information is needed, please let me know and I'll do my best to produce it. Thanks!

Welcome to the PF.

Wikipedia has a reasonable intro article about the subject of firearm physics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physics_of_firearms

If you don't understand something in the article, post a quote here and we should be able to help you understand it.

You should research the topic 'internal ballistics'.

Thanks for the replies and links!

The equation for force is F = m x a, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. In this case, we can use the given values of mass (15 g) and velocity (260 m/s) to calculate the acceleration of the bullet. We can then use the equation F = m x a to determine the force exerted on the bolt assembly by the bullet.

To convert the energy (500 J) into acceleration, we can use the equation E = 1/2 x m x v^2, where E is energy, m is mass, and v is velocity. By rearranging this equation, we can solve for acceleration (a = 2 x E/m x v^2). Plugging in the given values, we get an acceleration of 6,153,846 m/s^2.

To determine the force exerted on the bolt assembly, we can use the equation F = m x a. Plugging in the mass of the bullet (15 g) and the calculated acceleration (6,153,846 m/s^2), we get a force of 92.3 N.

Please note that these calculations are based on ideal conditions and may not accurately reflect the actual force and acceleration produced by the bullet in a real-life scenario. Additionally, there may be other factors at play, such as air resistance, that can affect the force and acceleration of the bullet. It is important to consider all variables when researching firearms and their impact.

FAQ: Equation for force from Vf, mass, and joules?

1. What is the equation for force from Vf, mass, and joules?

The equation for force from Vf, mass, and joules is F = m(Vf - Vi)/t, where F represents force, m represents mass, Vf represents final velocity, Vi represents initial velocity, and t represents time.

2. How is force related to velocity and mass?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, force is directly proportional to mass and acceleration. This means that as the mass increases, the force required to accelerate it also increases. Additionally, force is inversely proportional to velocity, meaning that as velocity increases, the force required to maintain that velocity decreases.

3. Can the equation for force be used to calculate work?

Yes, the equation for force can be used to calculate work. Work is defined as the force applied over a distance, so the equation for force can be rearranged to solve for work by multiplying it by the distance traveled.

4. Are there any units for force?

Yes, the standard unit for force is the Newton (N), which is equivalent to kg*m/s^2. Other commonly used units for force include pounds (lb) and dynes (dyn).

5. How is the equation for force related to energy?

The equation for force is not directly related to energy. However, force can be used to calculate work, which is a form of energy. Additionally, the concept of force is often used in the study of energy and can be used to determine the amount of force required to produce a certain amount of energy.

Back