Equation involving H and a re Accerlerating Universe

• Thread starter Buzz Bloom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary: Thanks for the clarification, Chalnoth.(f) If e is correct, thenOmega[DE] = Lambda * (8*pi*G/3) * (a/adot)^2OK, if that's right, where does the exponent with w in the coefficient of Omega[DE] come from?The way that equation (1) is written, ΩDE\Omega_{DE} is the current density fraction of dark energy. That is to say, equation (4) should be written as Ωx\Omega_x = ρx(now)/ρc(now)\rho_x(now)/\rho_c(now), where x is whatever component of the energy density we're
Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
In the Wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerating_universe#Evidence_for_acceleration the following equation
(1)
Equation2.png

[where the four currently hypothesized contributors to the energy density of the universe are curvature, matter, radiation and dark energy]

is given without any derivation from the previous equations
(2)
Equation.png

(3)
Equation3.png

(4)
Equation4.png
I have several question about these equations.

(a) I assume that in (2) K is -1, 0, +1 respectively for the space being hyperbolic, flat, or spherical. Then R would be the radius of curvature of the universe at time t. Is that correct?
(b) How is (1) derived form (2), (3), and (4)?
(c) Is the sum of the four Omegas in (1) supposed to equal the Omega in (4)?
(d) In the Einstein equations, isn't Lambda a constant density, independent of a?
(e) Isn't Omega[DE] = Lambda/rho[sub-c] and Lambda a constant independent of a?
(f) If e is correct, then
Omega[DE] = Lambda * (8*pi*G/3) * (a/adot)^2
OK, if that's right, where does the exponent with w in the coefficient of Omega[DE] come from?

Space news on Phys.org
I found this document very useful as a thorough introduction to flrw/lcdm equations:
http://casa.colorado.edu/~ajsh/phys5770_08/frw.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Buzz Bloom said:
I assume that in (2) K is -1, 0, +1 respectively for the space being hyperbolic, flat, or spherical.

Yes.

Buzz Bloom said:
Then R would be the radius of curvature of the universe at time t

If K = 1, yes. If K = 0 or -1, R doesn't have that simple interpretation; it's just a "scale factor" than can be used to track the universe's expansion.

Buzz Bloom said:
Is the sum of the four Omegas in (1) supposed to equal the Omega in (4)?

No. (4) is just a definition; each individual ##\Omega## in (1) is obtained from the corresponding energy density by dividing by the critical density.

Buzz Bloom said:
In the Einstein equations, isn't Lambda a constant density, independent of a?

If it's a cosmological constant, yes. But the term "dark energy" is also used more generally to denote anything that can cause accelerating expansion; for example, a scalar field.

Buzz Bloom said:
where does the exponent with w in the coefficient of Omega[DE] come from?

##w## is the parameter in the equation of state that relates pressure to density; in general, ##p = w \rho##. For non-relativistic matter, ##w = 0##; for radiation or highly relativistic matter, ##w = 1/3##; for a cosmological constant, ##w = -1##; and for other more general types of "dark energy" such as a scalar field, ##w## can vary.

If you look at the second Friedmann equation, and note the factor ##\rho + 3p## on the RHS (where we include a cosmological constant and dark energy in ##\rho## and ##p##), you can see that, if we know ##w##, the factor becomes ##\rho \left( 1 + 3 w \right)##, so any ##w < - 1/3## will make the factor negative and therefore the acceleration ##\ddot{a} / a## will be positive. Combining the second Friedmann equation with the first leads to the factor ##- 3 \left( 1 + w \right)## in (1); note that for a cosmological constant, ##1 + w = 0## and the dark energy density term is constant, as desired. But any ##w < - 1/3## can in principle appear in that term, so it is not necessarily constant in general.

Last edited:
Buzz Bloom said:
(a) I assume that in (2) K is -1, 0, +1 respectively for the space being hyperbolic, flat, or spherical. Then R would be the radius of curvature of the universe at time t. Is that correct?
Not quite. The way the equations above are written, R is a constant (the current radius of curvature), and the radius of curvature at any given time would be Ra.

(PeterDonis' answer above is for the more common notation where R(t) replaces a(t).)

Buzz Bloom said:
(b) How is (1) derived form (2), (3), and (4)?
By using stress-energy conservation. Stress-energy conservation determines how the energy density of each component scales with the expansion.

Buzz Bloom said:
(c) Is the sum of the four Omegas in (1) supposed to equal the Omega in (4)?
The sum of the four ##\Omega## parameters is equal to one, by definition. You can see this by considering the situation where ##a = 1## (now), as by definition ##H(a=1) = H_0##.

Buzz Bloom said:
(d) In the Einstein equations, isn't Lambda a constant density, independent of a?
Yes.

Buzz Bloom said:
(e) Isn't Omega[DE] = Lambda/rho[sub-c] and Lambda a constant independent of a?
As PeterDonis mentioned, Lambda is the special case for dark energy where ##w = -1##. You should be able to show that if ##w = -1##, the dark energy in equation (1) is a constant.

Buzz Bloom said:
(f) If e is correct, then
Omega[DE] = Lambda * (8*pi*G/3) * (a/adot)^2
OK, if that's right, where does the exponent with w in the coefficient of Omega[DE] come from?
The way that equation (1) is written, ##\Omega_{DE}## is the current density fraction of dark energy. That is to say, equation (4) should be written as ##\Omega_x = \rho_x(now) / \rho_c(now)##, where ##x## is whatever component of the energy density we're referring to.

Last edited:
wabbit said:
I found this document very useful as a thorough introduction to flrw/lcdm equations:
http://casa.colorado.edu/~ajsh/phys5770_08/frw.pdf

Thanks wabbit. The document looks like I will find a lot of useful stuff in it. I will probably have more questions after I study it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buzz Bloom said:

PeterDonis said:
If K = 1, yes. If K = 0 or -1, R doesn't have that simple interpretation; it's just a "scale factor" than can be used to track the universe's expansion.

Chalnoth said:
Not quite. The way the equations above are written, R is a constant (the current radius of curvature), and the radius of curvature at any given time would be Ra.

Thanks PeterDonis and Chalnoth.

It seems like the notation is a bit confusing. The clarification in Chalnoth's post helps to clarify it.

PeterDonis said:
No. (4) is just a definition; each individual Ω\Omega in (1) is obtained from the corresponding energy density by dividing by the critical density.

I think what confused me was seeing in several places that the sum of the contributing Omegas added to 1.

Ah, I see now that Chalnoth explained that the sum always equals 1 by definition.

Last edited:
Thanks once again to PeterDonis. Your answers to my questions (e) and (f) were very clear and helpful.answers to my questions (e) and (f) were very clear and helpful.

I have been thinking some more about the 1st equation of my original question.

equation2-png.81011.png

(a) What would be the value of Omega[k] be if |radius of curvature| = R[0], and k = +1 or -1?

(b) Also, since a is a relative distance with a[0] arbitraily set = 1, as I now undestand it, the equation would need to be modified, replaceing a with R/R[0]. Would an alternative to this be to modify H[0] by replacing its standard distance 1 Mpc with R[0], that is, dividing H[0] by R[0] and/or by reinterperting the unit of time from 1 sec to R[0]/c?

Related to Equation involving H and a re Accerlerating Universe

1. What is the equation for a re-accelerating universe?

The equation for a re-accelerating universe involves the Hubble parameter (H) and the cosmological constant (Λ). It can be written as H² = (8πGρ)/3 - Λ/3, where G is the gravitational constant and ρ is the density of matter in the universe.

2. How does the Hubble parameter affect the acceleration of the universe?

The Hubble parameter (H) is a measure of the rate at which the universe is expanding. A higher value of H indicates a faster expansion, which results in a stronger acceleration of the universe.

3. What is the significance of the cosmological constant in the equation for a re-accelerating universe?

The cosmological constant (Λ) is a term in the equation that represents the energy density of empty space. It plays a crucial role in determining the overall expansion rate of the universe and can either contribute to or counteract the effects of matter and radiation on the universe's acceleration.

4. Can the equation for a re-accelerating universe be used to predict the future of the universe?

Yes, the equation can be used to make predictions about the future of the universe. By plugging in different values for the parameters, scientists can determine if the universe will continue to accelerate or if it will eventually slow down and collapse.

5. How does the equation for a re-accelerating universe relate to dark energy?

The cosmological constant (Λ) in the equation is often referred to as dark energy. This term represents the mysterious force that is causing the universe to accelerate. The equation helps scientists understand the role of dark energy in the expansion of the universe.