Equation of a line/planes chapter question

• Thread starter tnutty
  • Start date
In summary, to find the parametric equation and symmetric equation for the line parallel to x + 2 = y/2 = z-3 and passing through the point (1,-1,1), you need to find a parallel vector to the line. To do this, you can convert the symmetric form of the equation to parametric form and use the common value as the parameter. From the resulting parametric equations, you can find a vector parallel to the line. <2,3,2> is not parallel to the given line, but <1,1,1> can be used as the displacement vector to find the answer.
tnutty

Homework Statement

Find the parametric equation and symmetric equation for the line :

11) The line through (1,-1,1) and parallel to the line x + 2 = y/2 = z-3

Homework Equations

Parametric equation :

x = x0 - at
y = y0 - bt
z = z0 - ct

symmetric equations :

(x - xo) / a = (y - yo)/b = (z - zo) /c

The Attempt at a Solution

I just need to find a parallel vector to the line x + 2 = y/2 = z-3.
Then I could use that vector with the initial point to find the parametric equation and the
symmetric equation.

I am just not sure how to find the parallel vector. Looking at the book for answer,
I see that the parallel vector is <2,3,2>, but I can't figure out how to obtain that answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
One way to convert from "symmetric form" (x- x0)/a= (y- y0)/b= (z- z0)/c to "parametric form" is to use that "common value" as your parameter. That is, (x- x0)/a= (y- y0)/b= (z- z0)/c= t so you have (x- x0)/a= t, (y- y0)/b= t, and (z-z0)/c= t. Solve those for x, y, and z to get parametric equations for the same line.

Of course, once you have parametric equations, x= At+ x0, y= Bt+ y0, z= Ct+ z0, a vector parallel to the line is <A, B, C>.

(No, <2, 3, 2> is NOT parallel to x+ 2= y/2= z- 3. for example, on point that satisfies those is (-1, 2, 4) (I took x+2= y/2= z- 3= 1) and another is (0, 4, 5) (x+2= y/2= z- 3= 2). The vector from one of those to the other is NOT parallel to <2, 3, 2>.)

I though that the equation given "x + 2 = y/2 = z-3" looked like the symmetric form,
with a = b = c = 1. So <A,B,C> = <1,1,1> ?

The from that I could find the displacement vector of <1,-1,1> , <1,1,1>

Then use that vector, which must be parallel to find the answer?

FAQ: Equation of a line/planes chapter question

1. What is the equation of a line?

The equation of a line is a mathematical representation of a straight line on a coordinate plane. It is commonly written as y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept.

2. How do you find the slope of a line?

The slope of a line is found by taking the change in y-coordinates (rise) divided by the change in x-coordinates (run) between two points on the line. This can be represented as m = (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1).

3. What is the point-slope form of a line?

The point-slope form of a line is y - y1 = m(x - x1), where (x1, y1) is a point on the line and m is the slope. This form is useful for writing the equation of a line when given a point and the slope.

4. How do you write the equation of a line in slope-intercept form?

The slope-intercept form of a line is y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept. To write an equation in this form, you will need to know the slope and y-intercept of the line.

5. What is the equation of a plane in three-dimensional space?

The equation of a plane in three-dimensional space is ax + by + cz = d, where a, b, and c are the coefficients of the x, y, and z variables and d is a constant. This equation represents all points that lie on the plane.