Equation of a plane in R4 from three points

In summary, the equation of a plane in R4 is a mathematical representation of a flat surface in four-dimensional space, determined by three non-collinear points and can be written in the form Ax + By + Cz + Dw = k. To find the equation of a plane in R4 from three points, you can use the steps of calculating vectors, finding the cross product, determining the value of k, and substituting values into the equation. Three non-collinear points are necessary to determine a unique plane in R4, and the equation can also be represented in other forms such as (x, y, z, w)·n = d and r·n = d. The equation of a plane in R4
Easy_as_Pi

Homework Statement

Find a parametric equation of each of the following planes:
d) The plane in R4 containing the points P: (1,1,-1,2), Q: (2,3,0,1), and R: (1,2,2,3)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found vector PQ <1,2,1,-1> and vector PR <0,1,3,1>
My next thought was to find a vector orthogonal to those two (cross product PQ x PR) and then use that as my normal vector, and choose a point. Then my answer would be: <x,y,z,m> + t*normal vector.

The problem is that I don't know how to take the cross product in 4 dimensions. I have read that it can only be taken in 3D and 7D ...but I'm rather lost as to how to find this plane's equation. Any help is thoroughly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Easy_as_Pi said:

Homework Statement

Find a parametric equation of each of the following planes:
d) The plane in R4 containing the points P: (1,1,-1,2), Q: (2,3,0,1), and R: (1,2,2,3)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found vector PQ <1,2,1,-1> and vector PR <0,1,3,1>
My next thought was to find a vector orthogonal to those two (cross product PQ x PR) and then use that as my normal vector, and choose a point. Then my answer would be: <x,y,z,m> + t*normal vector.
The cross product isn't applicable here, as you mention below. What you show as your answer would be a vector sum that determines a line in R4. To determine a plane, you need a point and two vectors that aren't parallel.

If u and v are vectors in R4 and OP is a vector from the origin to point P, and if u and v aren't parallel, then the vector equation of the plane containing the vectors is r(s, t) = OP + su + tv.

Geometrically, we need a vector from the origin to the plane (OP). Then any point in the plane is some linear combination of the two vectors u and v for some scalars s and t.
Easy_as_Pi said:
The problem is that I don't know how to take the cross product in 4 dimensions. I have read that it can only be taken in 3D and 7D ...but I'm rather lost as to how to find this plane's equation. Any help is thoroughly appreciated.

<x,y,z,m> + t*normal vector wouldn't be the equation of a plane even it the vectors were three dimensional. It would be the equation of a line, since there is only one parameter t. The equation of a plane should have two parameters. That should make it pretty easy.

So, to make sure I'm following you, Mark44, I would end up with a function r of s and t. OP= <1,1,-1,2>, u=PQ=<1,2,1,-1> , and v=PR=<0,1,3,1>. r(s, t) = OP + su + tv
r(s, t) = <1,1,-1,2> + s<1,2,1,-1> + t<0,1,3,1>

I know I need to have a point in the plane and two vectors from that point which are not parallel. In this case I chose point P, and had vectors PQ and PR, which are not parallel. I could have selected any of the three points and made 2 vectors from the selected point, one to each of the other points, and, as long as the vectors were not parallel, arrive at a correct parametric equation, right? Also, out of curiosity, how would I find the normal vector for this plane? I know it needs to be perpendicular to both PQ and PR, but that I can't use the cross product. Would I just solve a very drawn out dot product set equal to 0?

Thanks for the help!

Easy_as_Pi said:
So, to make sure I'm following you, Mark44, I would end up with a function r of s and t. OP= <1,1,-1,2>, u=PQ=<1,2,1,-1> , and v=PR=<0,1,3,1>. r(s, t) = OP + su + tv
r(s, t) = <1,1,-1,2> + s<1,2,1,-1> + t<0,1,3,1>

I know I need to have a point in the plane and two vectors from that point which are not parallel. In this case I chose point P, and had vectors PQ and PR, which are not parallel. I could have selected any of the three points and made 2 vectors from the selected point, one to each of the other points, and, as long as the vectors were not parallel, arrive at a correct parametric equation, right? Also, out of curiosity, how would I find the normal vector for this plane? I know it needs to be perpendicular to both PQ and PR, but that I can't use the cross product. Would I just solve a very drawn out dot product set equal to 0?

Thanks for the help!

Sure, that's it. And you've got the right procedure to find normal vectors as well, solve n.PQ=0 and n.PR=0. You'll find there is a two dimensional subspace of normal vectors. In R3 it would be one dimensional, which is why there you can talk about 'the normal vector' direction.

Related to Equation of a plane in R4 from three points

1. What is the equation of a plane in R4 from three points?

The equation of a plane in R4 is a mathematical representation of a flat surface in four-dimensional space. It is determined by three non-collinear points and can be written in the form Ax + By + Cz + Dw = k, where A, B, C, and D are constants and (x, y, z, w) are the variables representing points on the plane.

2. How do you find the equation of a plane in R4 from three points?

To find the equation of a plane in R4 from three points, you can use the following steps:

1. Calculate the vectors between each pair of points.
  2. Find the cross product of the two vectors.
  3. Use the three points to determine the value of k in the equation Ax + By + Cz + Dw = k.
  4. Substitute the values of A, B, C, and D, as well as the known point (x, y, z, w), into the equation to find the final equation of the plane.

3. What is the significance of three non-collinear points in determining the equation of a plane in R4?

Three non-collinear points are necessary to determine a unique plane in R4. If the points are collinear (lie on the same line), then there are infinitely many planes that can pass through them, making it impossible to determine a specific equation.

4. Can the equation of a plane in R4 be represented in other forms?

Yes, the equation of a plane in R4 can also be written as (x, y, z, w)·n = d, where n is the normal vector to the plane and d is the distance of the plane from the origin. It can also be written in vector form as r·n = d, where r is the position vector of any point on the plane.

5. How is the equation of a plane in R4 used in scientific research?

The equation of a plane in R4 is used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to describe and analyze the behavior of objects in four-dimensional space, as well as to model and predict their movements and interactions. It is also used in computer graphics to create and manipulate 3D shapes and images.