Equation of Curve Tangent to Line at Given Point

• Thread starter Alexandra Fabiello
  • Start date
In summary, the question asks for an equation for a curve that is tangent to the line y = 11x at (2, 22). The equation is y' = 8x + c1.
Alexandra Fabiello

Homework Statement

Find the equation of the curve for which y'' = 8 if the curve is tangent to the line y = 11x at (2, 22).

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
y' = 8x + c1

y = 4x2 + c1x + c2

What exactly is the question asking me to do, especially with the y = 11x bit? ∫ydx?

Physics news on Phys.org
Alexandra Fabiello said:

Homework Statement

Find the equation of the curve for which y'' = 8 if the curve is tangent to the line y = 11x at (2, 22).

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
y' = 8x + c1

y = 4x2 + c1x + c2

What exactly is the question asking me to do, especially with the y = 11x bit? ∫ydx?

It wants your curve to be tangent at (2,22). That means it must pass through that point and have the same slope there as the line.

LCKurtz said:
It wants your curve to be tangent at (2,22). That means it must pass through that point and have the same slope there as the line.

But doesn't tangent mean derivative in this case? My curve should have a slope of 11 at (2,22), fine; how does that apply to y'' and y' and y as I said? My curve would be y, right, because y'' = 8 is the double derivative of that? How to solve it with two different constants, then?

You have two constants with which you can make the curve agree with point and slope.

LCKurtz said:
You have two constants with which you can make the curve agree with point and slope.

So y = 4x2 + c1x + c2 = 11? Without knowing the slope for y', how can we solve for this?

I mean, so far, I've got -4x2 - c1x + 11 = c2, but now what?

You have ##y = 4x^2 + c_1x + c_2## with two unknown constants. What do the constants have to be so that ##y(2) = 22## and ##y'(2) = 11##?

LCKurtz said:
You have ##y = 4x^2 + c_1x + c_2## with two unknown constants. What do the constants have to be so that ##y(2) = 22## and ##y'(2) = 11##?

Oh, y' = 11 as well? Because y = 11x is a line?

There's really nothing more to tell you without working it for you. Just do it.

LCKurtz said:
There's really nothing more to tell you without working it for you. Just do it.

Got it. WileyPlus accepted my answer.

So basically, being tangent to a line means y' = 11 at that x-value, so it's solvable. If someone else asks a similar question, answer like that, and it might just make a lot more sense to them.

Related to Equation of Curve Tangent to Line at Given Point

1. What does the question mean by "this question"?

The question is referring to the question at hand, the one that is being asked. It is asking for clarification on what the specific question is asking for.

2. How can I understand what the question is asking?

To understand the question, you can break it down into smaller parts and analyze each part. You can also rephrase the question in your own words to ensure that you understand it correctly.

3. Is there a specific answer that the question is looking for?

Depending on the type of question, there may be a specific answer that is expected. However, in some cases, the question may be open-ended and may not have a specific answer. It is important to carefully read and understand the question to determine if there is a specific answer being sought.

4. What information should I provide when answering this question?

The information needed to answer a question will vary depending on the question itself. However, you should always provide relevant and accurate information that directly addresses the question being asked.

5. Can I ask for clarification if I am unsure about what the question is asking?

Yes, it is always acceptable to ask for clarification if you are unsure about what a question is asking. It is better to ask for clarification than to provide an incorrect or irrelevant answer.