Equation of motion of open string with Dirchlet b.c

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of an equation of motion for a string with Dirchlet boundary conditions. The resulting equation includes a term that signifies translational momentum of the center of mass of the string in spacetime. However, the significance of this term is not fully understood and the conversation ends with the suggestion to ask for clarification in a different forum."
benbenny
Fashioned after the derivation of the equation of motion for a string with Neumann b.c in Zwiebach's a first course of string theory, I have derived the very similar equation using Dirchlet b.c. My result, in natural units, is
[tex] X^{\mu}(\tau,\sigma)=X_{0}^{\mu}-2\alpha' p^{\mu}\sigma +\sum_{n\ne 0}\left(\frac{\sqrt{2\alpha'}}{\sqrt{n}}\sin(n\sigma) a_{n}^{\mu}e^{-in\tau} \right) [/tex]

Im having a hard time understanding the significance of the term
[tex] 2\alpha' p^{\mu}\sigma [/tex] .

From comparing this result to the Neumann b.c derived string, I understand that this term signifies translational momentum of the center of mass of the string in spacetime. Since this string has fixed endpoints, my intuitive guess would be that it would have zero translational momentum. Further I am baffled by the sigma dependence of this term which indicates that this momentum term is zero at one endpoint of the string, and maximized at the other end. I am lost on this, any clarification would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Ben

Physics news on Phys.org
benbenny said:
Fashioned after the derivation of the equation of motion for a string with Neumann b.c in Zwiebach's a first course of string theory, I have derived the very similar equation using Dirchlet b.c. My result, in natural units, is
[tex] X^{\mu}(\tau,\sigma)=X_{0}^{\mu}-2\alpha' p^{\mu}\sigma +\sum_{n\ne 0}\left(\frac{\sqrt{2\alpha'}}{\sqrt{n}}\sin(n\sigma) a_{n}^{\mu}e^{-in\tau} \right) [/tex]

Im having a hard time understanding the significance of the term
[tex] 2\alpha' p^{\mu}\sigma [/tex] .

From comparing this result to the Neumann b.c derived string, I understand that this term signifies translational momentum of the center of mass of the string in spacetime. Since this string has fixed endpoints, my intuitive guess would be that it would have zero translational momentum. Further I am baffled by the sigma dependence of this term which indicates that this momentum term is zero at one endpoint of the string, and maximized at the other end. I am lost on this, any clarification would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Ben

Anyone know why I am getting no answer for this one? Should I post it in the beyond the standard model forum?

Cheers.

Maybe ask one of the mentors/moderators to move it... you're probably more likely to get an answer there since this is beyond the level of what usually winds up in the HW forum. (And you're asking more of a conceptual question than "how do I do this problem" anyway :wink:)

Yeah, who wants to study all the string nonsense anyway? :p

Ok. Just thought that since its undergrad level question...but ill ask a moderator. thanks

FAQ: Equation of motion of open string with Dirchlet b.c

1. What is the equation of motion for an open string with Dirichlet boundary conditions?

The equation of motion for an open string with Dirichlet boundary conditions is given by the wave equation:

$$\frac{1}{c^2}\frac{\partial^2 y}{\partial t^2}-\frac{\partial^2 y}{\partial x^2}=0$$

where $y$ represents the displacement of the string in the $x$ direction, $c$ is the speed of light, and $t$ is time.

2. What are Dirichlet boundary conditions?

Dirichlet boundary conditions refer to the specification of the values of a function at the endpoints of an interval. In the context of the equation of motion for an open string, Dirichlet boundary conditions specify the value of the string's displacement at the endpoints of the string.

3. How do Dirichlet boundary conditions affect the equation of motion for an open string?

Dirichlet boundary conditions affect the equation of motion for an open string by adding additional terms that account for the fixed displacement of the string at the endpoints. These terms can change the form of the equation and affect the solutions that satisfy the boundary conditions.

4. What are some physical examples of open strings with Dirichlet boundary conditions?

One example of an open string with Dirichlet boundary conditions is a guitar string, where the endpoints of the string are fixed at the bridge and the tuning pegs. Another example is a jump rope, where the endpoints are held by two people and the middle of the rope is free to move.

5. Can the equation of motion for an open string with Dirichlet boundary conditions be solved analytically?

Yes, the equation of motion for an open string with Dirichlet boundary conditions can be solved analytically. However, the solutions may be complicated and involve special functions such as Bessel functions. In most cases, numerical methods are used to approximate the solutions.

Back