Equation of Plane Perpendicular to Given Line l Through Point (-1, -4, 3)

In summary, linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations, vectors, and matrices. It is important in various fields, including physics, engineering, and computer science, as it allows for the representation and manipulation of complex systems. Some basic concepts in linear algebra include linear transformations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and systems of linear equations. It has many real-life applications, such as image processing and machine learning. Resources for learning linear algebra include textbooks, online courses, and video tutorials.
lennes
5. Let l be the line x = −2 + 2t, y = 1 − 2t, z = −3 + t.
Find an equation of the plane W perpendicular to l through the point (−1, −4, 3).

i mean to give
2(x+1)-2(y+4)+(z-3)
=2x-2y+z-9 = 0

but the answer given is: 2x-2y+z-3 = 0

is the answer given wrong, or am I doing something wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think either of those answers are right. The point (-1,-4,3) has to lie on the plane. That means that the point will have to satisfy the equation of the plane, and it seems not to do so.

Also, I do know that the scalar equation of a plane (the equations you've given ax +by + cz + D= 0), has coefficients a, b, and c as the normal vector.

Sorry i think i made a mistake copying my answer

i mean to give
2(x+1)-2(y+4)+(z-3)
=2x-2y+z-9 = 0

can you show your work for me?

Let l be the line x = −2 + 2t, y = 1 − 2t, z = −3 + t.
(a) Find an equation of the plane W perpendicular to l through the point (−1, −4, 3).

since the line perpendicular to W has direction of (2, -2, 1) i made it the normal to the plane.
n = (2, -2, 1)
so the point normal form i got
2(x - (-1)) -2(y - (-4))+1(z - (3)) = 0

2x+2 -2y-8 +z+3 = 0
2x-2y+z +2-11 = 0
2x-2y+z-9 =0

That looks perfectly good to me. Also note that 2(-1)- 2(-4)+ 3- 9= -2+ 8+ 3- 9= 0, so the given point is on this plane while 2(-1)- 2(-4)+ 3- 3= -2+ 8+ 3- 3= 6, not 0, so the given point is not on that plane.

Related to Equation of Plane Perpendicular to Given Line l Through Point (-1, -4, 3)

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their properties. It involves the use of vectors and matrices to represent and solve problems related to linear transformations.

2. Why is linear algebra important?

Linear algebra is an essential tool in many fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It allows for the representation and manipulation of complex systems and provides a framework for solving problems related to linear transformations, optimization, and data analysis.

3. What are the basic concepts in linear algebra?

The basic concepts in linear algebra include vectors, matrices, linear transformations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and systems of linear equations. These concepts are used to represent and solve problems related to linear equations and transformations.

4. How is linear algebra used in real life?

Linear algebra has many real-life applications, including image and signal processing, data compression, computer graphics, and machine learning. It is also used in fields such as economics and finance to model and analyze complex systems.

5. What are some resources for learning linear algebra?

There are many resources available for learning linear algebra, including textbooks, online courses, and video tutorials. Some popular textbooks include "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler and "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang. Online resources such as Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare also offer free courses on linear algebra.

Back