Equation of plane through points on x,y,z axes

It should be A(x-a)+B(y)+C(z)=0.In summary, the equation of the plane through the points on the x, y, and z-axes where x=a, y=b, z=c is (x/a)+(y/b)+(z/c)=1.
iomtt6076

Homework Statement

Find the equation of the plane through the points on the x, y, and z-axes where x=a, y=b, z=c, respectively.

Homework Equations

If <A,B,C> is a vector perpendicular to the plane, then A(x-a)+B(y-b)+C(z-c)=0 is the equation of the plane.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this is extremely simple, but I can't get the right answer even using different methods.

Method 1:
The vectors <0,b,-c> and <a,-b,0> are in the plane. The cross product <0,b,-c> X <a,-b,0> gives <-bc,-ac,-ab>, which is normal to the plane. Then the equation of the plane is (-bc)(x-a)+(-ac)(y-b)+(-ab)(z-c)=0, and simplifying I get (x/a)+(y/b)+(z/c)=3. Wrong.

Method 2:
Substituting the 3 points (a,0,0), (0,b,0), (0,0,c) into A(x-a)+B(y-b)+C(z-c)=0 gives

-Bb-Cc=0
-Aa-Cc=0
-Aa-Bb=0.

Thus C=-Aa/c, B=-Aa/b and substituting this back into A(x-a)+B(y-b)+C(z-c)=0 and simplifying I get (-x/a)+(y/b)+(z/c)=1, which is different than the answer from Method 1 and still wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi iomtt6076! :wink:
iomtt6076 said:
Find the equation of the plane through the points on the x, y, and z-axes where x=a, y=b, z=c, respectively.

eugh … you've made it so complicated.

Just call the plane px + qy + rz = 1, and solve! :smile:

tiny-tim, thank you for your reply. I see how to get from px + qy + rz = 1 to the correct answer and at last realize my (embarrassing) mistake.

In Method 1, it was incorrect to say that "the equation of the plane is (-bc)(x-a)+(-ac)(y-b)+(-ab)(z-c)=0." This equation comes from setting the dot product <-bc,-ac,-ab>*<x-a,y-b,z-c> equal to 0. But (a,b,c) is NOT on the plane. It should be <-bc,-ac,-ab>*<x-a,y,z>.

In Method 2, my mistake can be traced to my statement under "

Homework Equations

": A(x-a)+B(y-b)+C(z-c)=0 is NOT the equation of the plane because again, (a,b,c) is not on the plane.

FAQ: Equation of plane through points on x,y,z axes

1. What is the equation of a plane through points on the x, y, z axes?

The equation of a plane through points on the x, y, z axes is given by Ax + By + Cz = D, where A, B, and C are the coefficients of the x, y, and z variables, and D is a constant term.

2. How do you find the equation of a plane through points on the x, y, z axes?

To find the equation of a plane through points on the x, y, z axes, you can use the three-point form or the normal form. The three-point form uses the coordinates of the three points to determine the coefficients, while the normal form uses the normal vector of the plane.

3. Can any three points on the x, y, z axes determine a unique plane?

Yes, any three non-collinear points on the x, y, z axes will determine a unique plane. This is because three non-collinear points uniquely define a plane in three-dimensional space.

4. Is the equation of a plane through points on the x, y, z axes always in standard form?

Yes, the equation of a plane through points on the x, y, z axes is always in standard form, as it follows the general form of Ax + By + Cz = D. However, the coefficients may vary depending on the given points.

5. How can the equation of a plane through points on the x, y, z axes be used in real-life applications?

The equation of a plane through points on the x, y, z axes is commonly used in engineering, physics, and geometry. It can be used to model surfaces and shapes in three-dimensional space, and can also be used in fields such as computer graphics, where it is used to create 3D models and animations.