Equation of Plane with Line and Angle Problem

In summary, the equation of the plane containing the given line and making an angle of \frac{2\pi}{3} with the plane \pi:x+3y-z+8=0 can be found by solving the system of equations a+3b-c=-0.5\sqrt{11} and a^2+b^2+c^2=1, where <a, b, c> is a unit vector perpendicular to the desired plane.
chmate

Homework Statement

Find the equation of plane which contains the line [itex]l:\left\{\begin{array}{l} x=t+2 \\y=2t-1\\z=3t+3 \end{array}\right.[/itex], and makes the angle of [itex]\frac{2\pi}{3}[/itex] with the plane [itex]\pi:x+3y-z+8=0[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt was to find the normal vector of plane which contains the line by the cross product of vector [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] of line and some vector created between points [itex]P(2,-1,3)[/itex] of line and point [itex]Q(x,y,z)[/itex], than by using the formula to find angles, but this leads me to complications.

I think there's another way to solve this, which I don't know.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
If two planes make a given angle, [itex]\theta[/itex], with each other, then their normal vectors make the same angle. The dot product of two vectors, u and v, is given by [itex]u\cdot v= |u||v|cos(\theta)[/itex]. So if we take <a, b, c> to be a unit vector perpendicular to the desired plane, we must have [itex]<a, b, c>\cdot<1, 3, -1>= \sqrt{1+ 9+ 1} cos(2\pi/3)[/itex] or [itex]a+ 3b- c= -.5\sqrt{11}[/itex]. That, together with [itex]a^2+ b^2+ c^2= 1[/itex] gives two equations to solve for a, b, and c.

Related to Equation of Plane with Line and Angle Problem

1. What is plane geometry?

Plane geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of shapes, sizes, and properties of objects in a two-dimensional plane or surface.

2. What are some common types of plane geometry problems?

Some common types of plane geometry problems include finding the area and perimeter of shapes, solving for missing angles in triangles and quadrilaterals, and working with parallel and perpendicular lines.

3. How can I approach solving a plane geometry problem?

When solving a plane geometry problem, it is important to carefully read and understand the given information, draw a clear and accurate diagram, and use relevant theorems and formulas to find a solution.

4. What are some useful tools or resources for solving plane geometry problems?

Some useful tools and resources for solving plane geometry problems include a protractor, ruler, compass, and various geometry textbooks or online resources. It can also be helpful to practice regularly and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed.

5. How can plane geometry be applied in real life?

Plane geometry has many practical applications in real life, such as designing buildings, creating maps and blueprints, and calculating distances and areas in everyday situations. It is also used in fields such as engineering, architecture, and graphic design.