Equation of the plane EQUIDISTANT from two points

In summary, to find the equation of the plane equidistant from two points, first find the midpoint of the line segment between the two points. This midpoint will also lie on the plane. Then, using this point and the direction ratios of the normal to the plane, you can obtain the equation of the plane using the formula <tex>(\vec{r} - \vec{a}) . \hat{n} = 0</itex>.
ko_kidd
I got two points that are

(2, -1, 1) and (3, 1, 5)

and I need to find the equation of the plane equidistant from those points.

Anyone?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since it's equidistant, finding the midpoint should allow you to calculate the direction ratios of the normal to the plane. Once you find that, you should be able to obtain the equation to the plane. ie, [tex](\vec{r} - \vec{a}) . \hat{n} = 0[/itex]

Midpoint between what though? Midpoint between the points maybe?

I'm confused. I was thinking the first thing was to create a vector parallel to the lines or vector equation of the line based on the two points (if I did that part correctly)

what I got was
<x,y,z> = <2,-1,1> + t<1,2,4> = <z+t,-1+2t,1+4t>

ko_kidd said:
I'm confused. I was thinking the first thing was to create a vector parallel to the lines or vector equation of the line based on the two points (if I did that part correctly)

what I got was
<x,y,z> = <2,-1,1> + t<1,2,4> = <z+t,-1+2t,1+4t>

Yes, and that gives you the direction ratios of the normal to the plane.

Midpoint between what though? Midpoint between the points maybe?

Yeah. Since it's equidistant, this midpoint lies on the required plane. Now that you've got a point lying on the plane, and the direction ratios of the normal to the plane, you should be able to find the equation of the plane.

The plane equidistant from two points contains the midpoint of the line segment between them, and is perpendicular to that line. That's all you need.

FAQ: Equation of the plane EQUIDISTANT from two points

1. What is the equation of the plane equidistant from two points?

The equation of the plane equidistant from two points is given by:
(x - x1) + (y - y1) + (z - z1) = (x - x2) + (y - y2) + (z - z2).
This equation represents all the points that are equidistant from the two given points, (x1, y1, z1) and (x2, y2, z2).

2. How do you find the equation of the plane equidistant from two points?

To find the equation of the plane equidistant from two points, you need to first find the midpoint of the two points. This can be done by taking the average of the x, y, and z coordinates of the two points. Then, use this midpoint and one of the given points to find the normal vector of the plane. Finally, plug in the values of the midpoint and normal vector into the general equation of a plane, (x - x0) + (y - y0) + (z - z0) = 0, to get the equation of the plane equidistant from the two points.

3. What are the properties of the plane equidistant from two points?

The plane equidistant from two points has the following properties:
1. It is perpendicular to the line joining the two points.
2. It bisects the line joining the two points.
3. It contains the midpoint of the line joining the two points.
4. It is equidistant from the two points.

4. Can the equation of the plane equidistant from two points be written in different forms?

Yes, the equation of the plane equidistant from two points can be written in different forms. The general form is (x - x0) + (y - y0) + (z - z0) = 0, where (x0, y0, z0) is the midpoint of the two points. However, it can also be written in the standard form, Ax + By + Cz + D = 0, where A, B, and C are the coefficients of x, y, and z, respectively, and D is a constant.

5. How can the equation of the plane equidistant from two points be used in real-life situations?

The equation of the plane equidistant from two points can be used in various real-life situations, such as:
1. Finding the shortest distance between two parallel lines.
2. Designing structures, such as bridges or buildings, that need to be equidistant from two points.
3. Studying electromagnetic fields, as the equipotential surfaces of electric fields are planes equidistant from two charges.
4. In computer graphics and 3D modeling to create realistic surfaces and objects.
5. In navigation systems to determine the location of a point by finding its distance from two known points.

Back