Equation of velocity with quadratic drag, vertical throw

In summary, the homework statement is trying to derive the velocity equation for an objekt moving vertically upwards. They are using y, which seems to be an height, and are having trouble with deriving the equation. They have tried separating the variables, and have come to this integral:-√(m/gk)∫1/(1+u^2 )du=∫dtwhere u is a substitution defined by u=√(k/mg)⋅v. They have also come to this equation:-√(m/gk)⋅arctan(√(k/mg)⋅v)+c=twhere c must be solved for.
Hannibal123

Homework Statement

I am having trouble deriving the velocity equation for an objekt moving vertically upwards. the net force will be
[tex]m*dv/dt=-mg-kv^2[/tex]
where k is the drag. At the time t=0 the object's velocity wil be
[tex]v(0)=v_0[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
haruspex said:

im not sure how they get to that equation, and why they are using y, which seems to be an height.
I have tried seperating the variables, and have come to this integral
[tex]-√(m/gk)∫1/(1+u^2 )du=∫dt[/tex]
where u is a substitution defined by
[tex]u=√(k/mg)⋅v[/tex]
which leads to this
[tex]-√(m/gk)⋅arctan(√(k/mg)⋅v)+c=t[/tex]
however I'm not sure if this is corrrect, and the constant c must be solved for the condition t=0 and v(0)=v_0. Furthermore this will have to be solved for v, because i need the velocity equation.

Hannibal123 said:
im not sure how they get to that equation, and why they are using y, which seems to be an height.
I have tried seperating the variables, and have come to this integral
[tex]-√(m/gk)∫1/(1+u^2 )du=∫dt[/tex]
where u is a substitution defined by
[tex]u=√(k/mg)⋅v[/tex]
which leads to this
however I'm not sure if this is correct, and the constant c must be solved for the condition t=0 and v(0)=v_0. Furthermore this will have to be solved for v, because i need the velocity equation.
That all looks correct. Can you not rearrange it easily enough into the form v = f(t)?

for the start condition (t,v)=(0,v_0) i can only cook c down to this
[tex]c=√(m/gk)*arctan(√(k/mg)*v_0 )[/tex]
which is going to give a pretty nasty equation when inserted into the previous equation, that i want to solve for v?

which i eventually solve to this for v
[tex]tan((t-√(m/gk)⋅arctan(√(k/mg)⋅v_0 ))/√(m/gk))/√(k/mg)[/tex]

or in a more pretty picture: http://imgur.com/V53iV

but I'm not sure if it's correct, or if it can be shortened

arctan(v) = t+c
v = tan(t+c) = (tan(t)+tan(c))/(1- tan(t)tan(c))
v0 = tan(c)
v = (tan(t)+v0)/(1- tan(t)v0)

I don't really follow you there, would you mind elaborating that?

[tex]arctan(√(k/mg)⋅v)=\frac{c-t}{√(m/gk)}[/tex]
[tex]√(k/mg)⋅v=tan(\frac{c-t}{√(m/gk)})[/tex]
[tex]=tan(\frac{c}{√(m/gk)}-\frac{t}{√(m/gk)})[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{tan(\frac{c}{√(m/gk)})-tan(\frac{t}{√(m/gk)})}{1+tan(\frac{c}{√(m/gk)})tan(\frac{t}{√(m/gk)})}[/tex]
At t=0:
[tex]√(k/mg)⋅v_0=tan(\frac{c}{√(m/gk)})[/tex]
[tex]√(k/mg)⋅v=\frac{√(k/mg)⋅v_0-tan(\frac{t}{√(m/gk)})}{1+√(k/mg)⋅v_0 tan(\frac{t}{√(m/gk)})}[/tex]
[tex]v=\frac{v_0-\frac{1}{√(m/gk)}tan(\frac{t}{√(m/gk)})}{1+√(k/mg)⋅v_0 tan(\frac{t}{√(m/gk)})}[/tex]

FAQ: Equation of velocity with quadratic drag, vertical throw

1. What is the equation for velocity with quadratic drag in a vertical throw?

The equation for velocity with quadratic drag in a vertical throw is:
v(t) = v0 - (mg/k)t + (m2g2 / k2) * (1 - e-kt/m)

2. How does quadratic drag affect the velocity in a vertical throw?

Quadratic drag, also known as air resistance, decreases the velocity of an object in a vertical throw. As the object moves through the air, it experiences a drag force that is proportional to the square of its velocity, causing it to slow down.

3. What do the variables in the equation represent?

v(t) represents the velocity at time t, v0 is the initial velocity, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and k is the drag coefficient of the object.

4. How does the mass of the object affect the equation of velocity with quadratic drag?

The mass of the object affects the equation of velocity with quadratic drag by changing the rate at which the object slows down. Heavier objects will experience a greater drag force and will therefore slow down faster than lighter objects.

5. Can the equation be used for objects thrown at an angle?

Yes, the equation for velocity with quadratic drag in a vertical throw can be used for objects thrown at an angle. However, the angle of the throw must be taken into account in the initial velocity component, v0.

Back