Equation rearrangement to solve for varialbe

• Thread starter Bgayn
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses rearranging an equation to solve for x in a kinetics study. The equation is given in a publication but needs to be modified. The solution involves using the Lambert W function, which is the inverse function to xe^x. However, this function may not be readily available and a numerical method may be needed to solve the equation.
Bgayn
T= ln x/k divided by (x-k)

I need to rearrange this equation to solve for x.

This is not a homework assignment. This equation is for a kinetics study I am conducting.

The equation is given in a publication, however I wish to modify it.

As the variable is in both the numerator and demoninator I am unsure of how to solve this.

any suggestions?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
So you have [itex]T= \frac{ln(x/k)}{x- k}[/itex]?

Multiply on both sides by x- k to get [itex]T(x- k)= ln(x/k)[/itex]. Then get rid of the logarithm by taking the exponential of both sides: [itex]e^{Tx- Tk}= e^{-Tk}e^{Tx}= x/k[/itex], [itex]ke^{-Tk}= xe^{-Tx}[/itex].
Multiply both side by -T to get [itex]-Tke^{-Tk}= -Txe^{-Tx}[/itex].

That's as far as you can go with standard "algebraic" steps. To solve for x, first let y= -Tx so the equation becomes [itex]ye^y= -Tke^{-Tk}[/itex] and now you can use "Lambert's W function" which is defined as "the inverse function to [itex]f(x)= xe^x[/itex]". That is, if [itex]xe^x= a[/itex], then x= W(a).

Applying that to both sides of [itex]ye^y= -Te^{-Tk}[/itex] gives [itex]y= -Tx= W(-Te^{-Tk})[/itex] and so the solution to the original equation is [itex]x= -W(-Te^{-Tk})/T[/itex].

Hello HallsofIvy, I have been meaning to get back to about your reponse.

Thank you for the explanation.

However I am unfamiliar with the Lambert w function. Can you provide an explanation of (-W) in the solution.

Hello Bgayn !

The Lambert W function (Table 4c, page 35, in the paper referenced below) was introduced in order to answer to a difficult question : What is the inverse function of x = W exp(W) ? This is a question similar to “What is the inverses functions of x=sin(w) or x=cos(w), …” ? The difficulty was overcome by the introduction of the functions w=arcsin(x), or w=arccos(x), …
The Lambert W function cannot be expressed with a finite number of elementary fuctions, but with infinite series.
Similary, the sin function cannot be expressed with a finite number of elementary fuctions, but with infinite series, before the function arcsin was defined and became usual.
This seems surprizing to one who is not aware of the use of special functions, especialy as closed forms of infinite series.
From "Safari in the Contry of Special Functions", p.24 and p.35 :
http://www.scribd.com/JJacquelin/documents

W function question

Thank you for the note. So, in the equation stated is -W a constant that I plug into the equation?
I have values for T and k from our data, however how do I use -W to solve for X?

W is not a constant. It is a function namely the Lambert W function.
As any function, you can use this function if you know it and if you have a software in which this function is implemented. Probably, both answer are not. So you can't use this function.
Without it, the only way to solve the equation is to use a numerical method in order to compute the roots
of the equation.

FAQ: Equation rearrangement to solve for varialbe

1. What does equation rearrangement mean?

Equation rearrangement is the process of manipulating a mathematical equation in order to solve for a specific variable. This involves moving terms and coefficients to different sides of the equation while maintaining equality.

2. Why do we need to rearrange equations to solve for variables?

Rearranging equations allows us to isolate a specific variable and solve for its value. This is particularly useful when working with complex equations that involve multiple variables.

3. What are the steps involved in equation rearrangement?

The first step is to identify the variable that you want to solve for. Then, you can use algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to move terms and coefficients to different sides of the equation. Finally, simplify the equation and solve for the variable.

4. Can equation rearrangement be used for any type of equation?

Yes, equation rearrangement can be used for any type of equation as long as it follows the rules of algebra. However, the complexity of the equation may vary and may require more advanced techniques.

5. Are there any tips for effectively rearranging equations?

One tip is to start by simplifying the equation as much as possible before rearranging. It is also important to perform the same operation on both sides of the equation to maintain equality. Additionally, it can be helpful to work backwards from the desired variable to determine which operations need to be performed.