Equations of Motions of a Wheel Axle Set

In summary, the conversation is about obtaining the general equations of motion for a wheel-axle set, as well as transformation equations between different coordinate axes. The conversation also includes discussions about angular velocity and momentum, and the difficulty in finding the same equation for the rate of change of momentum in a book.
altanonat
Hello all,

I am currently studying dynamics of a wheel-axle set for my research. My problem is I could not find the same equation for the rate of the change of the momentum in the book, book is a little bit old and I could not find any errata about the book or any other references that explains the derivation of equations. Thank you in advance for your help.

I am trying to obtain the general wheel axle set equations of motion given in the 5th chapter of the book (all the equations and figures are taken from this book):

http://books.google.cz/books?id=TVenrrNeB4kC&printsec=frontcover&hl=tr&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

I am giving the axes systems in the book used:

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/965x464q90/661/dLDE2P.png

The first axes is used as fixed inertial reference frame. The second one is an intermediate frame rotated through an angle [itex]\psi[/itex] about the z axis of the third axes system (which is attached to the mass center of wheelset) Transformation equations between coordinate axes given in the book:

[itex]
\begin{Bmatrix}
i^{'}\\j^{'} \\ k^{'}
\end{Bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix}
1 &0 &0 \\
0 &cos\phi &sin\phi \\
0 &-sin\phi & cos\phi
\end{bmatrix}\begin{Bmatrix}
i^{''}\\j^{''} \\ k^{''}
\end{Bmatrix}
[/itex]

[itex]
\begin{Bmatrix}
i^{''}\\j^{''} \\ k^{''}
cos\psi &sin\psi &0 \\
-sin\psi &cos\psi &0 \\
0 &0 & 1
i^{'''}\\j^{'''} \\ k^{'''}
\end{Bmatrix}
[/itex]

[itex]
\begin{Bmatrix}
i^{'}\\j^{'} \\ k^{'}
cos\psi &sin\psi &0 \\
-cos\phi sin\psi &cos\phi cos\psi &0 \\
sin\phi sin\psi &-sin\phi cos\psi & 1
\end{Bmatrix}
[/itex]

for small [itex]\psi[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex]

[itex]
\begin{Bmatrix}
i^{'}\\j^{'} \\ k^{'}
1 &\psi &0 \\
-\psi &1 &0 \\
0 &-phi & 1
\end{Bmatrix}
[/itex]

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/773x270q90/661/B4L8It.png​

The angular velocity [itex]\mathbf{\omega}[/itex] of the axle wheelset is given by:

[itex]\mathbf{\omega}=\dot{\phi }i^{''}+\left ( \Omega +\dot{\beta } \right )j^{'}+\dot{\psi }k^{''}[/itex]​

The angular velocity [itex]\mathbf{\omega}[/itex] expressed in body coordinate axis is given by:

[itex]\mathbf{\omega}=\dot{\phi }i^{'}+\left ( \Omega +\dot{\beta }+\dot{\psi }sin\phi \right )j^{'}+\dot{\psi }cos\phi k^{'}[/itex]

[itex]\mathbf{\omega}=\omega_{x}i^{'}+\omega_{y}j^{'}+\omega_{z}k^{'}[/itex]​

where [itex]\omega_{x}=\dot{\phi }, \omega_{y}=\left ( \Omega +\dot{\beta }+\dot{\psi }sin\phi \right ), \omega_{z}=\dot{\psi }cos\phi[/itex] and the angular momentum of the wheel axle set in the body coordinate system

[itex]\mathbf{H}=I_{wx}\omega_{x}i^{'}+I_{wy}\omega_{y}j^{'}+I_{wz}\omega_{z}k^{'}[/itex]

please note that because of symmetry(principal mass moments) [itex]I_{wx}=I_{wz}[/itex].

Angular velocity of coordinate axes

ω_axis×H=(ψ ̇sinφI_wx ψ ̇cosφi^'-ψ ̇cosφI_wy (Ω+β ̇+ψ ̇sinφ) i^' )+(φ ̇I_wy (Ω+β ̇+ψ ̇sinφ) k^'-ψ ̇sinφI_wx φ ̇k^' )

[itex]\mathbf{\omega_{axis}}=\dot{\phi }i^{'}+\dot{\psi }k^{''}=\dot{\phi }i^{'}+\dot{\psi }sin\phi j^{'}+\dot{\psi }cos\phi k^{'}[/itex]

The rate of change of momentum is given as

[itex]\mathbf{dH/dt}=I_{wx}\dot{\omega_{x}}i^{'}+I_{wy}\dot{\omega_{y}}j^{'}+I_{wz}\dot{\omega_{z}}k^{'}+\mathbf{\omega_{axis}}\times\mathbf{H} [/itex]

This point is where I can not get the same equation in the book for rate of change of momentum. The rate of change of momentum given in fixed intertial frame is:

[itex]\mathbf{dH/dt}=\left (I_{wx}\ddot \phi- I_{wy}\Omega \dot\psi \right )i^{'''}+I_{wy}\ddot \beta j^{'''}+\left (I_{wy}\Omega\dot \phi+ I_{wx}\ddot\psi \right ) k^{'''} [/itex]

Probably I am missing a simple point but I could not find what it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I am sorry, please do not consider this part:

ω_axis×H=(ψ ̇sinφI_wx ψ ̇cosφi^'-ψ ̇cosφI_wy (Ω+β ̇+ψ ̇sinφ) i^' )+(φ ̇I_wy (Ω+β ̇+ψ ̇sinφ) k^'-ψ ̇sinφI_wx φ ̇k^' )

Probably I wrote (copy and paste from my notes) it by mistake.

FAQ: Equations of Motions of a Wheel Axle Set

What is the equation of motion for a wheel axle set?

The equation of motion for a wheel axle set is a mathematical representation of the motion of the wheel and axle system. It is based on the principles of Newton's laws of motion and can be used to predict the position, velocity, and acceleration of the wheel and axle at any given time.

What factors affect the equations of motion for a wheel axle set?

The equations of motion for a wheel axle set are affected by several factors, including the mass of the wheel and axle, the force applied to the system, the friction between the wheel and axle, and the shape and size of the wheel and axle.

How are the equations of motion for a wheel axle set derived?

The equations of motion for a wheel axle set are derived using the principles of classical mechanics, specifically Newton's second law of motion. This involves analyzing the forces acting on the system and using mathematical equations to describe the resulting motion.

What is the difference between linear and angular equations of motion for a wheel axle set?

The linear equations of motion for a wheel axle set describe the motion of the system in a straight line, while the angular equations of motion describe the rotational motion of the wheel and axle. Both sets of equations are related and can be used together to fully describe the motion of the system.

How are the equations of motion for a wheel axle set used in real-world applications?

The equations of motion for a wheel axle set are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as designing and analyzing vehicles, machinery, and other mechanical systems. They are also used in sports science and engineering to study the motion of athletes and equipment. These equations are essential for predicting and improving the performance and safety of these systems.

Back